case western reserve university



The Changing Campus

Maps and Aerials

Western Reserve University (WRU) moved from its original home in Hudson, Ohio to the University Circle area of Cleveland in 1882. Case School of Applied Science (Case) moved from its original home in downtown Cleveland to University Circle in 1885. The Changing Campus provides an overview of the University Circle campuses of WRU, Case, Case Western Reserve University (CWRU), and their various component entities between the years 1886 and 2003. The University Archives staff has used maps and aerial photographs from the collection to show how the campuses have grown, changed, and united over the years.

The Buildings Project

The maps and aerials are a component of a larger project that provides information about campus buildings and structures through 1949. The Buildings Compendium, Buildings A-Z List, Buildings Chronological List and the individual buildings records describe the project and individual buildings in detail. Throughout The Changing Campus, we will provide links to these building records whenever possible.

Scope of Project

The images in The Changing Campus document those buildings and grounds in the University Circle area, and do not show the downtown campuses, Squire Valleevue Farm, the Hudson campus, and other off-campus sites. These sites are discussed in the text, however, and documented in their individual records.


Using this Site

The information in The Changing Campus is divided up roughly by decade. Please select a date below to learn about the campus at that time.