case western reserve university



The Changing Campus: 1940

Because of the Great Depression campus growth at both institutions was limited in the 1930s.

The major changes at Case were the additions of the Chemical Engineering Building (named for alumnus and faculty member Albert W. Smith in 1956) and the establishment of a permanent site for Camp Case at Mohican State Forest.


The biggest addition for WRU was the acquisition of Squire Valleevue Farm in Hunting Valley through the bequest of Andrew and Eleanor Squire.

Number of buildings in use by Case in 1940: 14.

Number of buildings in use by WRU in 1940: 82.

This map details the WRU campus. It also mentions the two off-site facilities of Cleveland College and Squire Valleevue Farm.
The main road splitting this aerial photograph in half is Euclid Avenue. The other parallel line is the railroad tracks, which bound the campus on the south. The Mather campus is left of center; the medical complex is prominent in the center; and the Adelbert and Case campuses are obscured somewhat by the trees.
University campus
Information was compiled by staff of the Case Western Reserve University Archives, November 2004.