The result of a major gift by Amasa Stone, both
Case School of Applied Science
(located in downtown Cleveland) and Western
Reserve College (located in Hudson, Ohio) moved to adjacent
campuses in the University Circle area of Cleveland.
Western Reserve moved to its University Circle
location in 1882 and changed its name to Adelbert
College of Western Reserve University. The Adelbert campus
originally consisted of 4 buildings: the Main
Building (for many years known as Adelbert Main, and currently
known as Adelbert Hall); the Dormitory
(for many years known as Adelbert Hall and finally known as
Pierce Hall); the privy; and the president's
house (Cutler Hall).
Case moved to its University Circle location in
1885. It had one original building on campus, the Main
Building (also known as Case Main).
Number of buildings in use by Case School of
Applied Science in 1886: 1.
Number of buildings in use by Adelbert College
in 1886: 5.