By 1930 WRU had acquired most of the property
on Adelbert and Abington Roads for the new medical school complex
and University Hospitals of Cleveland. Both moved from their
downtown locations. For the first time the Medical School was
located on campus with the university. The downtown presence
of WRU was continued, however, with the establishment of Cleveland
College in 1925.
WRU also made another large set of purchases during
the 1920s: the property bounded by Bellflower Road on the north,
East Boulevard on the west, Euclid Avenue on the south, and
the College for Women campus on the east. The purchases included
a number of buildings, the most significant for the university
being Hitchcock Hall and Thwing
Hall (since 1980 known as Thwing Center).
Case, in its continuous effort to provide separate
facilities for each of its departments, added the Warner
Building, located next to Rockefeller
Mining and Metallurgy, for the Mechanics Department and
Civil Engineering. The Charles William
Bingham Mechanical Engineering Building was completed and
the old Mechanical Laboratory was razed.
The Ether Drift Research House (Interferometer
Shed) was also added to campus. Here physicist Dayton C. Miller
continued the ether drift experiments first begun by Albert
Michelson and Edward Morley.
Number of buildings in use by Case in 1930:
Number of buildings in use by WRU in 1930: