SEARCH UNIVERSITY ARCHIVES:
The Changing Campus: 1892
Western Reserve University
incorporated in 1884 and added 6 new schools
between 1884 and 1892. With the expansion of the university,
physical plant expanded. In 1892 Mather College received its
first 2 permanent buildings, Guilford House
and Clark Hall of Liberal Arts. Adelbert
added 2 athletic facilities to its campus: Adelbert
Gym, 1888 and the athletic field (later known as Clarke
The new WRU president, Charles F. Thwing, moved
to a new residence at
Road, freeing up Cutler Hall (the
former presidents residence) for new purposes.
Following the fire that nearly destroyed the
Building in 1886, Case built 3 new buildings in addition
to rebuilding Case Main: the Chemical
Laboratory, 1887; Chemical Laboratory,
1892; and Mechanical Laboratory, 1892.
The Chemistry Department received a separate building before
other departments because many believed the fire was caused
by the Chemistry Department (though nothing was proven).
Number of buildings in use by Case in 1892:
Number of buildings in use by WRU in 1892:
This map shows the Case and Adelbert campuses.
The building by the railroad tracks is the
. After the newer laboratory building
was built in 1892, this building was moved and became
the residence for the janitor. (It was not razed until
Information was compiled by staff of the Case Western Reserve University Archives, November 2004.