Following the end of World War II, Case and WRU
entered a period of growth, both in enrollment and in their
physical campus. Because of building material shortages and
restrictions on new construction only a few buildings were completed
in the late 1940s, and many of these were old military buildings.
(The notable exception being Tomlinson
Hall, the new Case student union.) These buildings included
the Temporary Building and University
Cafeteria at WRU and the Government
Building at Case. With the federal governments help,
WRU acquired its own trailer camp in 1947 (the Blackacre
By 1950 both institutions were poised for big
changes on campus.
At WRU, planning was underway for the 125th anniversary
campaign. This campaign called for the construction of new buildings:
a library, a mens dormitory, a Cleveland College building,
a science center, a School of Applied Social Sciences building,
and the remodeling of Thwing Hall as a student union.
Case began its Diamond Jubilee Campaign in 1952,
the first of three successive campaigns raising funds for buildings
Number of buildings in use by Case in 1950:
Number of buildings in use by WRU in 1950: