Description: Reinforced concrete with brick facing
containing laboratories, classrooms, offices, library
Above the southwest entrance stands a figure of youth, a brazier at his
feet evolving into a flame supporting an evaporating dish. In his left hand
is a test tube; in his right, a stirring rod.
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.
1956-1976: Albert W. Smith Chemistry
and Chemical Engineering Building
1976-2004+: Albert W. Smith Chemical Engineering Building
Albert W. Smith, alumnus/faculty
Chemical Engineering Building
Laboratory of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
Walker and Weeks
Sam W. Emerson Co.
$341,026.99; $.40 per cubic foot
Loan of $300,000; Gifts of unknown
amounts from unknown alumni
1939-1949+: Chemistry and Chemical
1939-1949+: Research and teaching,
First Case building financed by
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.