Table of Contents:
What is Google Analytics?
Google Analytics is a free web-based analytics tool that shows you how people find your website, how they navigate through it, and how they become customers. Many more features are available in Google Analytics, so take a tour of the product.
To start using Google Analytics:
- Visit the Google Analytics website to sign up for an account.
- Click on Sign Up Now or login with your Google account.
- Setup your account. You will have to enter the following information:
- General Information: Website's URL, account name, country, time zone
- Contact Information: First and Last name, phone number, country
- Agree to the terms and conditions
- Copy the tracking ID in the code provided by Google Analytics. Do not copy all of the code, only the tracking ID. In this example, the tracking ID is in red:
- _uacct ="UA-4436189-1";
- Create a file named .googleanalytics in the top level of your maintainer directory.
- Paste the tracking ID provided by Google Analytics into the .googleanalytics file and save it.
- In the code example above, the tracking ID is UA-4436189-1
- Click continue to access your Google Analytics main menu.