case western reserve university




exhibit title: Our Presidents


Winfred G. Leutner
Pronunciation: LOIT-ner

Acting President, Western Reserve University, 12/4/1933-6/11/1934

President, Western Reserve University, 6/12/1934-6/30/1949


A.B., Adelbert College, Western Reserve University, 1901, Classical Language and Literature

Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University, 1905



University Awards

Case Institute of Technology awarded Leutner the honorary Doctor of Humane Letters, 1948.

Western Reserve University awarded Leutner the honorary Doctor of Laws, 1950.

The Emily Payne Smith Leutner Memorial Fund was established by President Leutner and family and friends in memory of President Leutner’s wife. The fund was renamed in 1962 the Winfred George and Emily Payne Smith Leutner Memorial Fund. The fund was used to purchase books in the arts and sciences for the University Library, 1955.

Western Reserve University dedicated the north side dining and recreation commons the Winfred George Leutner Commons, “because he upheld the finest traditions of academic freedom, because of his kindly and sympathetic relations with faculty and students,” 1965.



Instructor in Greek, Western Reserve University, 1903-1904

Acting Professor of Greek, Wittenberg College, Springfield, Ohio, 1905-1906

Instructor in Greek and Latin, Western Reserve University, 1906-1909

Assistant Professor of Greek and Latin, Western Reserve University, 1909-1915

Dean, Adelbert College, Western Reserve University, 1912-1925

Professor of Greek and Latin, Western Reserve University, 1915-1925

Acting Secretary-Treasurer, Western Reserve University, 1917-1918

Dean of University Administration, Western Reserve University, 1925-1934

Acting Director, Cleveland College, Western Reserve University, 1925-1926

President Emeritus, Western Reserve University, 1949-1961


University Numbers
  1933/34 1948/49
Enrollment 8,715 18,352
Operating deficit $2,299,075.21 $352,091.68



Continuous Campaign was launched. It included annual gifts, capital gifts, and bequests, and continued throughout Leutnerís tenure.
The School of Nursing was renamed the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing of Western Reserve University.
The Faculties of Arts and Sciences was established. Composed of members of the Adelbert, Mather, and Graduate School faculties, it acted on matters of common interest.


Countries around the world were plunged into World War II.
Corporate reorganization amalgamated the separate corporations of Western Reserve University, Case Library, Adelbert College, and Cleveland School of Architecture into a single corporation. Cleveland College was amalgamated with this corporation in 1942.


The Plant Rehabilitation Fund Campaign was intended to raise $300,000 to replace, repair, and renovate facilities. The campaign, which raised $134,000, was abandoned after the attack on Pearl Harbor.


GI Bill of Rights (formally: The Servicemenís Readjustment Act of 1944) was signed into law.
The School of Education was closed. The Department of Education operated until 1979.


  1947 First telecast was made by WEWS, Ohioís first television station.
The School of Pharmacy was closed.




Regional Population
  1930 1950
Cleveland 900,429 914,808

Caution should be taken when comparing financial data across long periods of time. Accounting practices have changed substantially during CWRU's nearly 200-year history. In compiling these numbers, we have relied on the most authoritative contemporaneous sources available.

Information was compiled by staff of the Case Western Reserve University Archives, March 2007.