Office of Undergraduate Studies

Transient (Visiting) Students

A transient student is one who has begun his or her education at another college or university and intends to return there. The university permits full- or part-time study as a transient student in the summer as well as during the fall and spring semesters. Enrollment must be for credit-bearing courses.

Applications for enrollment as a transient student may be obtained from the Office of Undergraduate Studies, 357 Sears Building. Before enrollment, the transient student must present a statement of good standing from the registrar of his or her home college. A degree candidate from another institution may not enroll as a transient student at Case Western Reserve University if the student would not be eligible to enroll for that semester at his or her home institution. Exceptions may be granted by appeal to the Academic Standing Board, c/o the Office of Undergraduate Studies.

Enrollment is limited to 30 semester hours and is subject to the regulations of the student's college. Transient students must meet all requirements for prerequisites before being admitted to specific courses. Transient students are expected to perform at the same academic standards as degree candidates. In particular, transient students whose records would make them eligible for separation as degree candidates may not continue as transient students unless they successfully petition the Academic Standing Board.

Transient students are not eligible to receive financial aid from Case Western Reserve University. If the student's home institution has entered into a consortium agreement with Case Western Reserve University, the student should inquire of the home institution regarding eligibility to receive aid through the home institution.