Skip to Main Content
CWRU Links
Office of Undergraduate Studies

Frequently Asked Questions IGS

Frequently Asked Questions IGS

This is a list of questions that are frequently asked by students interested in or participating in the IGS program.  If you still have questions, please contact Claudia Anderson in the Office of Undergraduate Studies.

When should I apply to the IGS Program?

Students usually apply to IGS in the second semester of their third year, though a few students apply before then. 

Are there eligibility requirements to apply for the IGS program?

Yes. In order to be eligible to enter into an IGS program, you must:

  1. Have completed at least 90 hours of which the last 60 hours must have been in residence at CWRU;
  2. Completion of all of the GERs or SAGES general education requirements. Though students in SAGES may complete their SAGES Capstone during their first year in IGS;
  3. Completion of two semesters of PHED;
  4. Completion of three quarters of the requirements for your major, including three quarters of the courses required in the major department; and
  5. Admission to a graduate program through the School of Graduate Studies. 

Do I have to wait until I have completed 90 hours before I can apply?

No. Many times students will apply in the semester in which upon competition of 90 hours will occur at the end of the semester in which they are applying. If you apply before you meet all of the eligibility, you may be admitted on a conditional basis, pending successful completion of your remaining coursework.

Where do I get the application?

You should pick up the graduate school application in the School of Graduate Studies on the second floor of Tomlinson.

What is a Planned Program of Study (PPOS)?

A Planned Program of Study is a list of classes that you plan on studying in order to earn your master's degree. The form must be signed by you, your advisor, and Dean Anderson. The Planned Program of Study Form must be submitted with your application to Graduate Studies. 

Can I change my planned program of study?

In order to change the classes on your planned program of study, you must submit a new form indicating the changes. It must be signed by you, your advisor and Dean Anderson. A copy of it must also be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Studies in Sears 357.

Will I be able to access my AA report and will my graduate classes appear on my AA report?

Yes and no. You will be able to see your AA report for your undergraduate degree and your graduate degree. However, the graduate level classes will not appear on your undergraduate AA report until approximately two weeks after the end of the semester in which you completed the classes. At that time they will be copied onto your undergraduate record as well.

Do the master's classes have any affect on my undergraduate grade point average?

Yes. Because you are in an integrated program and using the graduate courses to complete your B.A, the courses that you take at the graduate level will be calculated into your undergraduate grade point average. This means that you are still eligible for graduation honors, because your graduate classes are being calculated into your grade point average. However, once you complete your BA and receive your undergraduate degree, your graduate classes will only count towards your graduate degree (if you do not receive your degrees at the same time).

Once I am admitted into and IGS program do I register as a graduate or undergraduate student?

You register as a graduate student through the School of Graduate Studies and are subject to the policies, procedures and regulations of the School of Graduate Studies. Please make sure you are aware of the differences between graduate and undergraduate policies.

Can I still use my undergraduate merit based scholarship if I am in the IGS program?

Yes. Your scholarship is valid for 8 semesters of study. As long as you have continued to meet the retention standards, you may use the scholarship for what would normally be your senior year of undergraduate studies.

Can I still live in undergraduate housing if I am in the IGS program?

Yes, since it is normally your fourth year of undergraduate work.

Does participating in the IGS program affect my financial aid?

Yes. If you are in the IGS program, you are considered a graduate student for financial aid purposes. Please check with the Office of Financial Aid to see how your aid may be impacted.

In order to be eligible for the IGS program, I only need to have three-quarters of my major completed. When I do complete the rest of my major?

It is helpful to have as much, if not all of your major done before your enter the IGS program. However, it is possible to undergraduate classes or graduate classes when in the IGS program that will count towards your major. For example, if you are a philosophy major who is doing the MA in Bioethics, some of the electives for the the bioethics degree may be able to fulfill the philosophy electives for the undergraduate degree.

When will I get my undergraduate and graduate degrees?

It depends on your program. Many students will earn both degrees at the same time. In some programs, you may receive your graduate degree a semester or year after your undergraduate degree. This especially true for people in the Communication Disorders Program.