Our Strategic Plan: Key Goals and Initiatives
Goal Four: Integrity and Transparency
Realizing our goals requires significant improvements in our ability to assess our academic programs, track our finances and provide high-quality service to students, staff, faculty and alumni. To strengthen institutional resources to support the university’s mission, we will:
Define performance indicators, and strengthen systems for monitoring outcomes
- Improve evaluation of learning outcomes.
- Provide opportunities for faculty skilled in using assessment in their teaching to share information and approaches with colleagues.
- Coordinate periodic reviews of the general education components of the curriculum.
- Survey alumni to reflect upon their on-campus experiences and their long-term impact.
- Augment capacity in Institutional Research to enable broader and more aggressive evaluation of trends within the University and in its environment.
- Increase staff as necessary to respond to strategic initiatives.
- Make institutional information and analyses more widely available.
Improve internal "customer" satisfaction with administrative services
- Create an administrative review process to evaluate each service function. Include faculty, staff and students in these efforts.
- Expand efforts to assess and enhance satisfaction with services across the campus.
- Develop a University-wide process improvement initiative.
Improve resource allocation
In a decentralized institution, allocation processes must be transparent, understandable and coherent.
- Revise the existing system to support strategic priorities and ensure accountability.
- Consider a "Responsibility Center Management" model.
- Examine opportunities to reallocate funds to advance University goals.
- Establish equitable fund flows and administrative structures to encourage interdisciplinary activities.
Identify innovative sources of revenue
- Explore opportunities for partnerships with industry.
- Consult with alumni and others in industry to determine effective approaches to organizing and offering workshops, seminars, and other programs.
- Review institutional policies to encourage productive industry relationships.
Implement best operational practices
We will work across the campus to promote greater effectiveness and efficiency and to improve stewardship and accountability for all resources.
- Adopt best-of-class hiring, compensation, purchasing, and financial management systems.
- Enhance efforts to market and publicizie the university's successes.
- Continue improvements in the University-wide information technology platform.
- Strengthen the climate of equity, transparency, and accountability.
- Establish new policies to address conflicts of interest and conflicts of commitment.
- Improve policies and procedures for business activities (purchasing, reimbursements, etc.).
- Enhance availability of information related to budgets, planning and institutional policies.
Initiate a major capital campaign, with emphasis on student support, professorships, and other key priorities