Our Strategic Plan: Key Goals and Initiatives
Goal One: Impact
Seeking to strengthen our reach in education, research, scholarship and other forms of discovery, Case Western Reserve University will advance our academic programs to increase the university’s impact. To this end, the university will:
Enhance research and discovery
We will establish powerful alliances and enrich our core strengths, focusing university-level attention on select interdisciplinary priorities:
- Energy and the Environment
- Human Health
- The ideas that inspire us as individuals and connect us as a society arise from many disciplines. We will explore the nature of innovation, generating novel approaches that reframe our world view. Activities range from the study of culture, creativity, and design to the practical exercise of skills in these areas, especially in developing solutions to major issues.
- Faculty members across the University already are engaged in research related to questions of social justice, as seen, for example, in the work of the Inamori International Center for Ethics and Excellence. By linking these topics and identifying them as a University priority, we expect to accelerate efforts to understand the ways that social systems affect individuals and society – and to explore ways to improve them.
- Along with these four strategic alliances, other strong areas of potential University collaboration include: Informatics, Origins, Infectious Disease, and Child Development. In addition, work on Sustainability can contribute to all of these alliances. Finally, we will work to enhance and expand existing initiatives encouraging Entrepreneurship across the University.
To advance these efforts we will:
- Launch initiatives in each of the four alliances.
- Encourage other interdisciplinary activities, in particular for the additional suggested areas.
- Support advancement of specific college and school priorities.
- Develop university-level strategies to help the college and schools achieve select objectives identified in their plans.
- Promote enhanced collaboration in research and teaching.
- Identify and eliminate existing barriers.
- Develop a financial model that encourages cooperation.
- Increase space for teaching and research to accommodate needs, particularly in the strategic alliance areas.
Align educational programs to prepare students for the 21st century
Our undergraduates will develop expertise in at least one field, and acquire familiarity with other disciplines. In particular, Case Western Reserve University will:
- Encourage the lifelong habits of mind that lead to understanding.
- Eliminate administrative and financial barriers to ease students’ exploration of multiple subjects.
- Teach students to acquire, evaluate, and apply knowledge.
- Develop a Center on the Learning Experience to coordinate and enhance activities.
- Organize learning experiences in ethics for all students.
- Emphasize innovation and excellence in teaching and mentoring.
- Better prepare faculty and staff who advise students.
Enhance the international character of the university
Case Western Reserve University enrolls students from more than 70 countries across the globe. Our effectiveness as a modern research university, however, demands that we expand our efforts. Accordingly, we will:
- Create disciplinary and interdisciplinary programs that address global challenges.
- Explore collaboration with other institutions in the United States and overseas.
- Identify and promote international opportunities in each of our strategic alliances.
- Develop an international scholars program.
- Provide every student the opportunity for a significant international experience.
- Promote enrollment of high-quality students from other nations, including developing countries.
- Establish internationalization scholarships.