Frequently Asked Questions - Schedule of Classes Maintainers



Maintaining Classes



How do I gain access the Schedule of Classes?

To receive access to maintain your department's class schedule, training is required. Please contact for more information. Once training has been completed, please submit the SIS Security Request form to finalize your access.

Is training available for the Schedule of Classes?

Yes, to inquire about Schedule of Classes training or to sign up, email

Where can I find information about the SIS-enabled online course action form?

See our demonstration documents below for initial information and visit our User Guides page for video instruction.

Where can I go for more help?

Login to SIS, click the Help link on the right side of the page and search for a topic. You can also view the SOC User Manual by visiting the SIS Manual and Guides page. For specific questions, please email

How can I make the Help function work with Mozilla Firefox?

Case uses a special tool to create and store on-line help information. Although this tool is optimized for Microsoft Internet Explorer, it will work with Firefox with an add-on that can be obtained here. Once you are on the site click on "Install Now". When the install finishes you will need to restart Firefox. When Firefox opens click "Tools" from the menu bar across the top of the screen, select "Add-ons", click "IE Tab", then click "Options", select "Sites Filter", and add "*" where it asks for a URL. Then click "add", "OK", and close the add-ons window. After you complete the process the Help link should work. If you are still encountering problems please email


What is a multiple offering?

A multiple offering is a group of courses that have the same name and content, but are housed in multiple departments under multiple subjects or are offered as undergraduate and graduate level courses.

For example, ECON 341 and BAFI 341 are both called Banking and Finance, have the same description, and are worth the same number of credit hours. Essentially, they are the same class but offered by different departments. If you were to look up either course, you would see that both BAFI 341 and ECON 341 are listed on the same record. In fact, they share the same unique course ID that was assigned when the course record was created.

For information on creating a multiple offering, login to SIS, click the Help link on the right side of the page and search for "multiple offering" or "cross-listed course."

What is a course component?

A course component is a value in SIS that represents the format used to conduct a class. Some examples of course components are:

- Lecture
- Laboratory
- Seminar
- Recitation
- Clinical
- Thesis

In some Academic Departments, it is common to have more than one component for an individual course. This is called a multiple component course. For information on how to schedule a class with multiple components, login to SIS, click the Help link on the right side of the page and search for "multiple components."

What are class notes?

Class notes are housed on the Notes tab of class section records in the Schedule of Classes. A note is added if additional information needs to be given about a class section. A note may be a entered by department personnel in the free format text field of the Notes tab or a standard note can be created for use on many sections from semester to semester.

What is a run control ID?

A run control ID is the name you assign to a process and the parameters for that process. A run control ID will be needed for tasks such as printing the schedule of classes and running reports. It is recommended that you create a new run control for each process you use and reuse that ID each time you run that process. For more information, login to SIS, click the Help link on the right side of the page and search for run control ID.

What does it mean when a course's academic organization begins with an M, such as M-ANAT?

Academic Organizations beginning with an M are professional-level medical school organizations. Those with without are graduate-level organizations.

Maintaining Classes

How do I add an instructor?

Requests to add an individual as an instructor, advisor, TA, or grading proxy are to be sent via the Request a New Instructor/Advisor/TA/Grading Proxy form to the Office of the University Registrar.

Before an individual is granted instructor/advisor status in SIS, s/he must first be hired and processed with an EmplID on record. Subsequently, it may take a few days after an individual's "hire date" for their EmplID to show up in SIS when queried on the Instructor/Advisor Table.

Please be aware that any request to have a person added in SIS as a TA will require verification that the student has taken or is currently enrolled in a UNIV 400 course. Students without registration in a UNIV 400 course will not be added as TAs until this requirement has been met. Please contact with questions.

Requests to change an instructor/advisor should also be submitted to the University Registrar via the Request a New Instructor/Advisor/TA/Grading Proxy form. These changes can include: addition/change/removal of a Primary Academic Organization; sabbatical leave; removal from the instructor/advisor table.

How do I make a section's instructor show as "staff"?

On the Meetings tab, leave the ID field blank and the section will show "staff" as the instructor.

How do I add a standard class note?

Requests to add a standard class note are to be sent via the Add/Inactivate Standard Class Notes form to the Office of the University Registrar. Once the note is created, it can be attached to the appropriate class section(s) by department personnel indefinitely.

How do I add a topic to a course?

Requests to add a topic to a course are to be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar via the Add/Inactivate Topic form. Once topics are created on the course catalog record of a course, they can be attached to the course's class sections as appropriate.

How do I reserve seats in a course section for members of a specific student population?

Requests to reserve capacity are to be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar via the Request Reserve Capacity form. You can request seats in a class be set aside for students with a certain academic level, major, cumulative GPA, and more.

Why is my 703 course inactive?

703 course registration was used to show full time equivalency. In SIS, there is another way to indicate whether a student is full time or part time, therefore the 703 courses will no longer be used effective Summer 2008.

Why would I need to delete or cancel a section?

Sections that either rolled forward from a prior term or were added and are not going to be offered should be deleted or canceled.

How do I know when to delete a section verses canceling it?

The choice whether to delete or cancel lies with the department. Canceled courses are rolled forward where deleted courses are not. If you have a course that is offered every other year, canceling it in the off years rather than deleting it saves you from having to completely recreate it. For detailed instructions on how to delete or cancel a course section, login to SIS, click the Help link on the right side of the page and search for "remove a course completely from the schedule" or "cancel a course". More information can also be found in the SOC User Guide.

How do I cancel a course with enrollments?

If students are enrolled in a class section that needs to be canceled, you will be able to notify them when you click Cancel Class on the Enrollment Cntrl tab. A notification page will appear. To send the message to all students enrolled in that section, click the Send Notification button. To continue canceling the class without sending the notification, click Return to Schedule of Classes.

When I combine my sections, the Status appears as "Closed." Why?

You need to enter a value in the enrollment capacity field for the combined section on the Identify Combined Sections screen. If you don't have an enrollment limit on any of the sections, you can make it 999. If you want an enrollment limit, you should use that number. E.g., if you have two sections which are combined, but you don't want more than 20 students enrolling in this course, you should have an enrollment capacity of 20 on each of the sections individually, and 20 as the enrollment capacity for the combined section as well.

After registration has begun, how can changes be made to a course section?

If there are no enrollments and the print flag has been turned on, contact the appropriate dean to request that it be turned off. Once the changes are made, notify the dean to turn the print flag back on. Note: Only changes to the Enrollment Control tab can be made if there are enrollments in the course. For other changes please send an email to with your request.

How can I see enrollments for all the courses my department is offering?

In SIS, choose Reporting Tools from the left-hand menu and then Query. Select Query Viewer, then click Advanced Search in the frame on the right. Next to Folder Name enter "statistics" and you'll get two queries that can be used to look at enrollment counts. If you want all of an academic organization's courses, use the COUNTS_BY_ORG query. If you want courses by subject area, use the COUNTS_BY_SUBJ query. Enter the term and org/subject codes or use the lookup icons to the right of the text boxes to identify your search criteria. Click View Results.

If you do not have access to this function, you can email for enrollment counts.

The print flag for my course has been turned on, but it's still not listed in the online schedule of classes. What should I do?

Is the facility ID blank on the Meetings Tab? If so, or if you still cannot determine why the class is not appearing, please send an email to

I need a room scheduled for my course by the University Registrar's Office. How do I accomplish that?

All courses that require a room to be scheduled by the University Registrar's Office should either have a requested room listed or have "TBS TBS" listed in Facility ID. TBA listed in Facility ID indicates that the department will be responsible for scheduling the room without assistance from the University Registrar's Office.

I need to change the session of a class from the regular session to the dynamically dated session, but the class is part of a combined section. What should I do?

If a situation should arise where it is necessary to change the session in which a class is scheduled (e.g. the regular session to the dynamically dated session) and this class is already part of a combined section, please follow these instructions to make the change:

  • Go to the Identify Combined Sections screen for the cross-listed course. Delete all sections from cross-listing. Save.
  • Go to the Combined Sections table for that session and term. Delete the row of the cross-listing from the table. Save.
  • Go to the Maintain Schedule of Classes search screen. Search for the classes that are being moved to a different session. Change each section of the cross-listed course.
  • Return to the Combined Sections table search screen. Search for the session and term in which the cross-listed course should be placed.
  • Follow the Combine Sections of Cross-listed Courses guide to combine the sections in the new session.

These steps are also available in the SOC User Guide.

The course I'm scheduling holds exams during the semester at times that are different from the regular class meeting times. How do I schedule this so students don't end up with courses that conflict with these exams?

You can schedule multiple meeting patterns, one for the actual class meeting and one for each in-semester exam. On the Meetings tab of the class section in which an exam is to be scheduled, in the meeting pattern box, click the plus (+) sign to add a new row for each. Click here for an example.

What does the Minimum Enrollment Nbr field control?

This field is only informational and has no functionality behind it.

How can I notify students of a change that was made to a class section?

On the Basic Data and Meetings tabs, you will see a Notify Students button. This will allow you to send a message about the change to all students enrolled in that section.


When I run the print class schedule report, there are no results when I open the PDF. How can I fix this?

Check your run control settings. Make sure you select "All" in the drop down "Schedule Print" and "Print Instructor in Schedule" boxes. Leave the "Session" box blank when choosing the summer term. Also be sure to check "Report only" on the "Report Options" tab.

When running a Cross-listed Report, I get the following message: "Process type Crystal for the program selected is not valid PSUNX1". What should I do?

Leave the server name blank to run any report. This will avoid the problem of certain reports only running under certain server types.

On my Cross-listed Report, I see courses that are owned by other departments. Is this an error?

No, it's not an error. You will see all of your cross-listed courses, even if they are owned by another department, so that you may monitor the offerings on your courses. If there are any errors, you won't be able to resolve them yourself, but you may want to bring it to the attention of the department which owns the course, although they should be seeing the same error on their cross-listed report.

Why is there a new version on the SOC Error Report? What's different?

We combined some parts of the old error report and some parts of the old validation report into one new and improved report. (The old validation report is longer be available.) The report is divided into "Errors" and "Warnings". It also runs much faster than the old version and can be run for all courses under an Academic Organization (e.g. DMLL).


Errors are serious, such as problems that may prevent students from registering for a course or which could prevent an instructor from entering grades for a course. These will continue to appear even if the print flag is on.


Warnings are less serious problems or informational items, such as courses being scheduled outside the normal meeting patterns. You won't see warnings after the print flag is on.

If you have an questions about or problems with the new report, please contact for assistance.

Where can I go for help with correcting errors and warnings found on the error report?

Go to the Error Report Help page.