CWRU Links

Permission requests are processed online through SIS.  From the Student Center, click on the Enroll link and navigate to the Permissions tab.  Detailed instructions on how to request permission to Add (or Drop) a class can be found here.

There are several reasons why permission may be required to enroll in a particular course:

Consent is Required

A class may be coded by the department as requiring either instructor or department consent.  The consent type required may be either add consent or drop consent.  Details regarding whether or not a class requires add or drop consent are available on the searchable schedule of classes.  Students who wish to add or drop a course that requires consent will need to request a Consent Required permission through SIS.

Class is Closed

Classes that reach their enrollment limits require permission to override the limit.  If all seats are taken, students will not be allowed to register unless a Closed Class permission is granted.  Even if a class shows a status of "open" or it appears as if there are seats available, it still may be closed to students not meeting the Reserve Capacity requirements.

Requisites Have Not Been Met

Departments determine whether or not a course requires pre-requisites, co-requisites or other requirement conditions.  If the student has not met these requirements, registration for the course is not allowed unless a Requisites Not Met permission is granted.

There is a Time Conflict

Students may not register for classes that have any meeting/day time overlaps with each other.  A Time Conflict permission may be granted by the instructor of the course which will be missed, NOT the instructor of the course which will not be missed.  If permission is granted for a time conflict, students must register for the course(s) in person in the University Registrar's Office, Yost 135.

There is a Career Restriction

Some schools have restrictions on students such that they may not register for a course outside of their own career without receiving permission from either the student’s registrar or dean or the course career's registrar or dean.  E.g., Law students may not register for Applied Social Science courses without a Career Restriction permission from the Law School registrar or Applied School of Social Science registrar.

Important Note: Once the permission request has been granted, students must complete the appropriate registration process to enroll in the course.