Name Change

In order to process a name change request, please read through the helpful guidelines outlined below:

  • To request a name change through the University Registrar's Office, you must be a currently enrolled student. Faculty and staff should contact Human Resources regarding name changes.
  • Legal name changes must be done in person in the University Registrar's Office, located in Yost Hall, room 135. Students need to provide one of the following official documents: Social Security card, passport, court order, marriage license, or divorce decree. Please note photocopies are only acceptable if they are notarized.
  • Students will also need to bring a photo ID (i.e. driver's license, passport, or CWRU student ID) for verification purposes, along with the Change of Name Request form.

The only exception made regarding the above documentation requirements, for current students only, is for use of maiden name. When our records already indicate a maiden name, the change may be made without official documentation.

If you have any questions, please contact the University Registrar’s Office at, 216.368.4310, or in Yost Hall 135. Office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm.