CWRU Links
Veterans Benefits

How To Get Started

In preparation for enrolling in one of our many degree programs, students planning to receive veterans education assistance form the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should follow the process outlined below.

  • Step 1 - Apply for admission through the appropriate school.  Apply for military benefits through Veterans Online Application (VONAPP). Visit to get started! This process can vary from a few weeks to months, so be sure to fill out your benefit application as soon as possible. Once your application is processed, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), which provides details regarding your education benefits.
  • Step 2 - Apply for supplemental Financial aid at CWRU, if needed.
  • Step 3 - After admission, register for CWRU classes using the Student Information System (SIS) according to your school’s schedule and instructions.
  • Step 4 - Supply the COE and ‌Veterans Questionnaire Form to The University Registrar’s Office by visiting Yost Hall, Rm 135, mailing, or faxing both forms.
  • Step 5 - Be sure to check your official CWRU email account regularly for important updates and communications.


Additional Information

To be certified for benefits, veterans must be officially registered for classes. Veterans must notify the University Veterans Certifying Official immediately when changing hours, grade options, withdrawing from a class, or withdrawing from the University. It is important to note the following:

  • The VA will not pay for repetition of courses previously taken for credit, unless repetition of that particular course is required for continuation in the approved program. However, the VA will pay for repetition of a course required for graduation if the course was failed or if a minimum acceptable grade was not achieved.
  • Students enrolled in intensive semester programs should be aware that benefits are paid based on actual dates of enrollment—not on the amount of tuition charged.
  • The law requires that the VA must collect all benefits paid to a beneficiary for a course from which the beneficiary withdraws (this means from the start of the term, not merely from the date the course was dropped) unless there are mitigating circumstances. Other actions that may result in overpayment include receiving a grade which does not count toward graduation requirements and failure to have an incomplete grade changed to a grade which counts towards graduation. The VA will vigorously pursue repayment of these overpayments.
  • For more information regarding your benefits, please visit the VA websites and or call 1.888.442.4551.
Veterans Logo 2