CWRU Links
Preferred Name Policy

The university recognizes that many of its students use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of this different name is not for the purposes of misrepresentation, the university acknowledges that a preferred name can be used in addition to the person’s legal name. In order to request a preferred name, students must notify the University Registrar’s Office in Yost 135 and submit this form. Please note preferred name changes are only applicable to currently enrolled students. Students are able to use this form to make changes to their preferred name or even remove the preferred name entirely by checking off the appropriate box. 

Visibility of the Perferred Name

The Office of the University Registrar will acknowledge preferred name changes in the Student Information System. The preferred name will appear in the following areas:

  • The student’s homepage (Student Center) in SIS
  • Advising rosters
  • Grade rosters
  • Class rosters

Preferred names will never be used for official university student record purposes such as enrollment verification, diploma, transcript, etc. In order to change a legal (primary) first, middle or last name, currently enrolled students must provide one of the following official documents: court order, marriage license, or divorce decree, along with the Change of Name Request form, to the University Registrar’s Office, Yost Hall 135. Please note any photocopies must be notarized.

Preferred Name & Email Address

In order to update your email address to your preferred name, please submit your request to ITS via their Preferred First.Last Web Tool. Please note that updating your preferred name through SIS does not automatically update your email address.