What about Parents?
- When a student reaches the age of 18 or begins attending a postsecondary institution regardless of age, FERPA rights transfer to the student.
- Parents may obtain directory information at the discretion of the institution.
- Parents may obtain non-directory information (grades, GPA, etc.) only at the discretion of the institution AND after it has been documented that their child is legally their dependent.
- The Office of Undergraduate Studies maintains signed consent from students who have chosen to allow release of non-directory information to parents. Parents of undergraduate students should be referred to the Office of Undergraduate Studies.
What about a Spouse?
- The spouse has no rights under FERPA to access the student’s education record.
< Back | Next >