What is Directory Information?
- Information, the release of which is not normally considered a violation of a person's privacy.
- May be disclosed without a student’s written consent unless a student has requested that this information not be released.
What information is considered directory information at Case?
- Name (including both maiden name and married name, where applicable)
- Address, telephone listing, and electronic mail address
- Date and place of birth
- Major field of study
- Anticipated graduation date
- Enrollment Status (undergraduate or graduate, full-time or part-time)
- Dates of attendance
- Degrees and awards received
- Participation in officially recognized sports and activities
- Weight and height (members of athletic teams)
What else should I know about directory information?
- If you do not have a way of knowing whether or not a student has requested confidentiality of directory information, do not release it.
- Just because you may does not mean you should. The university considers a student's right to privacy to be very important and does not routinely share directory information with third parties.
- To request that directory information be made confidential, the student should notify (in writing) the Office of the University Registrar.
- If a student requests confidentiality of directory information, it is all-or-nothing. In other words, not even the student's name will appear in on-line directories.
< Back | Next >