What are the FERPA Basics?
- Student education records are considered confidential and may not be released without the written consent of the student.
- As a faculty or staff member you have a responsibility to protect education records in your possession.
- Some information (called "Directory Information") can be released without the student's written permission. However, the student may opt to consider this information confidential as well. Before releasing any Directory Information, you should consult with the University Registrar's Office to determine whether the student has chosen to not disclose and to insure any release is consistent with University policy.
- You have access to information only for legitimate use in completion of your responsibilities as a university employee. Legitimate educational need to know is the basic principle.
- If you are ever in doubt, do not release any information until you talk to the office responsible for student records. Contact the University Registrar's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org, or refer the request to that office.
< Back | Next >