Frequently Asked Questions



Health & Auto Insurance

Personal Information



What times are classes scheduled?

The official class times slots are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for 50 minutes or Tuesday and Thursday for 75 minutes. This schedule applies to all undergraduate and many graduate courses (professional schools may have their own schedules).

What is a class permission?

See Permissions.

What is a hold and how is it handled differently than a permission?

There are various holds in SIS that can be applied to a student's record that may prevent registration. For example, a registration advisor hold requires that the student communicate directly with his/her advisor each semester in order to have the registration hold removed. There may also be a financial hold due to a past-due balance. You will not be able to register for classes if you have one of these holds. You must resolve the issue directly with your academic advisor or the Bursar's Office, depending on the type of hold.

Please note that the permission option through SIS is for various other situations (i.e., closed class, time conflict, etc.) and does not include holds. Students are encouraged to resolve any hold issues prior to their registration date as a permit will not allow registration for any course if there is a hold in place.

If I have a time conflict and still want to register for the course, what should I do?

When a student attempts to register for classes which have conflicting meeting times (for all or portions of the class), SIS will allow registration in one course and then return a time conflict error message for the other. The student may request permission to override a time conflict from the instructor of the class that will be missed. Students should NOT request permission from the instructor of the class that will not be missed.

I am an undergraduate student and I want to withdraw from classes. How do I do that?

If you are withdrawing from one course (and it is not your only course), you need to fill out a drop/add form and obtain a dean's signature from the Office of Undergraduate Studies before bringing the form to the Registrar's Office for processing. If you are withdrawing from all classes, there are two options available to you. The first option is to submit a Withdrawal Request through the Student Information System (SIS). The Withdrawal Request is located in the Academic Records section of your Self Service menu. The second option is to complete a withdrawal form and obtain a Dean’s signature from the Office of Undergraduate Studies. See also Withdrawals and Refunds.

When is Spring Break? What about Thanksgiving Break?

See the Academic Calendar.

What is the University Community Hour?

The University Community Hour began with the Fall 2004 academic term. It is scheduled every Friday during the fall and spring semesters on Fridays from 12:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. No required academic activities of any type may be scheduled during this period. Implementing the University Community Hour facilitates student and faculty attendance at campus-wide gatherings and special events, especially those that foster community building at Case Western Reserve University.

What if I have three final exams scheduled for one day?

Please see a dean in the Office of Undergraduate Studies.

Does the university automatically cancel courses with low enrollments? Who decides?

The university does not automatically cancel courses with low enrollments for the fall and spring terms. The university does sometimes cancel summer term courses with low enrollments. Decisions regarding course cancellation are made by deans' offices and academic departments (i.e., such decisions are not made by the University Registrar's Office).

What is the definition of a credit hour (also referred to as a unit)?

The Factuly Senate Curriculum Subcommittee endorsed the following definition of a credit-hour as it pertains to undergraduate courses (effective 4/25/12):

  • The assignment of credit-hours to a course occurs through a formal review process conducted at the appropriate levels of faculty governance.
  • For undergraduate courses in lecture format, one credit-hour represents the subject content that can be delivered in one academic hour of contact time along with associated work that can be completed by a typical student in 2-3 hours of effort outside the classroom, each week for the full duration of one academic semester (typically fourteen weeks). For graduate and professional courses taught in lecture format, 3-4 hours of outside work is expected for each academic hour of contact time.
  • For courses taught in other than lecture format (e.g., seminars, laboratories, independent study, clinical work, research, etc.), one credit-hour represents an amount of content and/or student effort that in aggregate is no less than that described in (2) above.


How do I calculate my GPA?

Grade point averages are calculated by multiplying the number equivalent of the letter grade by the number of credit hours for the course (this yields grade points) and then dividing by the total number of credit hours. The semester grade point average is computed by dividing the total number of grade points earned at the University during a given semester by the sum of the credit hours for all courses in which the student received letter grades of A, B, C, D or F taken at the University during that same semester.

Letter Grade Number Equivalents
A 4
B 3
C 2
D 1
F 0

GPA = Quality Points divided by Credit Hours


Course Credit Hrs Grade Quality Points
MATH 100 4 A 16 (4x4)
CHEM 100 3 C 6 (3x2)
ENGL 100 3 B 9 (3x3)
ANTH 100 3 A 12 (3x4)
BIOL 100 2 F 0 (2x0)
MUSC 100 1 P 0 (n/a not an evaluative grade)

Total GPA Credit Hours = 15
Total Quality Points = 43

GPA = 43/15 = 2.867
(because MUSC 100 has a grade of "P" it is not included in credit hours for GPA calculation)

How do I request a grade report?

Grade reports are available online through the Student Information System (SIS). Login using your Case ID and password. From the Student Center, choose "Transcript: View Unofficial" from the drop down menu under the heading Academics. On the page that appears, choose "Cumulative Grade Report" as the report type and click view report.

How do I view my grades for this term?

Grades are available online through the Student Information System (SIS). Login using your Case ID and password. From the Student Center, choose "Grades" from the drop down menu under the heading Academics. On the page that appears, you will see the grades that have been posted for you for the current semester. Click the Midterm Grades tab to see midterm grades (Note: If you don't have midterm grades posted, you won't see a "Midterm Grades" tab). To see grades for another term, click the change term button and choose another term.

Health & Auto Insurance

In order to get a "Good Student Discount" on auto insurance, I need a form filled out. Where do I have this done?

Any form asking for only your enrollment to be verified, can be brought to our office. A form that requires additional information (such as academic standing, GPA, etc…) verified will need to be taken to the Office of Undergraduate or Graduate Studies. Please note that we certify enrollment on a semester basis only (not annual) and only at the end of the drop/add period.

I want to be covered under my parent's health insurance, but the health insurance company needs to verify that I am a student at Case. How do I do that?

See Certification of Enrollment.

I don't want to pay the health insurance fee that is automatically billed to my account when I register. How can I accomplish that?

Once you've registered for a term (fall or spring) using SIS, you should see a message on your student center. The message will indicate that your health insurance has not been waived for the semester. There will be a yellow WAIVE button next to the message. You will be directed to read the policy and enter your insurance provider. Once you've saved this information, your health fee will be waived and the message on your student center will reflect this. You may visit the University Health Service website for more information. Note that there is no health fee for summer.

Personal Information

Why am I not in the on-line directory?

There are two ways this could happen:

  • You have not officially registered for classes. Only students registered for the current semester will appear in the on-line student directory.
  • You have requested confidentiality for your "directory information." Directory information is a special class of information which may be released without your written consent. This includes your name, address, phone number, major, e-mail address and several other bits of information about you. Aside from directory information, we are required by law to keep the rest of the information in your student records confidential. If you have requested that we keep your directory information confidential as well, all of your student information will be suppressed. This means that your name and other directory information will not appear in on-line directory.

To have directory information suppressed or to cancel a request for suppression, we need written notification prior to the end of the drop/add period. For further information regarding these policies and your rights under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, please refer our Academic Record Privacy (FERPA) page.

I am an undergraduate student and need to change my address with the university. What should I do?

See Name and Address Changes.

How do I get my name changed on my university records?

See Name and Address Changes.

My e-mail address shows my entire first name. No one knows me by this name. Can I have my name changed to my nickname?

We do not make any changes to the name on your student record unless legal documentation is provided. However, you can request a change to your e-mail address by sending a message to Please see ITS E-Mail Addressing Policy for further information.

Has the university stopped using my Social Security number as my main identifier?

Yes. The university has converted to a new Student Information System (SIS) which uses a unique student number, not the SSN, as the main student identifier. The university will still need to collect Social Security numbers for services such as financial aid. We take many precautions to protect your Social Security number as private information. If you have a specific concern about Social Security number privacy, please e-mail the registrar's office.

I am a staff member, but I am also taking classes as a student. I have informed Human Resources that I want my address information suppressed from the university directory. When I look up myself in the directory, I can see my home address under my student listing and do not want it published there. What should I do?

Everyone taking courses at Case Western Reserve University is considered a student regardless of any other existing university affiliation. Therefore, if you wish your information to be suppressed from the student listing in the directory, you must follow the same procedure as for all students. Students can update their FERPA restriction on-line via SIS. Go to the Student Center, select Self Service on the left, then Campus Personal Information, followed by FERPA Restrictions. For more information on the law which governs student records privacy, see our information page. Please note that suppression of information from the directory is all-or-nothing and that once activated, not even the student's name will appear on the directory. Suppression also applies to other non-directory information release.

Please note that if you are a user of the university Oracle calendar system, your calendar data will also be removed unless you complete the calendar opt in process before we update your record as suppressed. The details for the calendar opt-in process can be found here.

I just got a notice that states that my student affiliation is lapsing, but I really am a student at Case Western Reserve University. Now what?

In order to have student status, you must be officially registered for classes. As soon as you register, your status will be updated to reflect your student affiliation with the university. In the mean time, ITS does not delete your account. The lapsing of student affiliation means that you will only be able to forward your Case e-mail to another account. To make sure that you can forward e-mail, you would have to inquire about setting up a Case Online Services account with the Office of Alumni Relations.

I am an alum and would like to be able to access Case Online Services. Where do I go?

To find out if your network ID is active and ready for use, go to the Alumni Relations ID Verification Wizard. If you have lost your password, you can have it reset by visiting the Case Alumni Website and selecting "CWRU Online Services" and "Lost Password."


How do I request a transcript?

See our Transcripts page.

Why is there a fee for transcripts?

The fee is actually nominal in relation to the actual cost of the service. Costs associated with the production of transcripts include not only the cost of printing the individual document, but also the cost for both equipment and personnel to maintain a system of records containing information on thousands of individuals. The University receives numerous requests for records from this system each year and accuracy is an absolute requirement. Also note that much of the benefit of the transcript system goes to alumni rather than to current students and that use of the system varies greatly from one individual to another. By having a fee, the actual users of the service are being asked to absorb a larger share of its total cost, while the University continues to provide a subsidy.

Prior to 1996, transcript fees had not been raised since 1981, when the fee was raised from $1 to $2. In reviewing this charge, the University considered fees in effect at similar institutions. While some institutions provide transcripts for free, some charge as much as $10 to respond to "walk-in" transcript requests. Some of the universities that provide transcripts "for free" actually use a portion of the matriculation fee (or other separate entry fees) to cover transcript services.

Why do you have to send my undergraduate record with my graduate transcript?

Case produces a transcript of all work completed at the university and will not selectively distribute records from particular schools within the university. The purpose of a transcript is not to portray the student in the best light possible, but to objectively display the academic record of course work and semesters attended at the university.

I am a staff member here at Case. Do I have to pay for transcripts?

Yes. Everyone taking courses at Case Western Reserve University is considered a student regardless of any other existing university affiliation. Since the transcript fee (see "Why is there a fee for transcripts?") applies to all students, it would be unfair to exempt employees from paying this fee.

A potential employer needs a copy of my transcripts, but you can't release them because I owe tuition from last semester. I can't pay until I can get a job. Can't you make an exception?

Like Case, most schools require full or at least partial payment before the semester starts, with the remainder being due before the semester is over. Like most deliverers of goods and/or services, it is reasonable to require that once the service has been delivered (in this case education), that the agreement to pay for the service (in this case, a signed registration form or use of the on-line registration system) will be honored. Payment for these types of agreements is not (and should not be) contingent upon future employment possibilities. Therefore, the policy to withhold official transcripts due to outstanding financial obligations is necessary (and, in fact, generous considering that many schools cancel registration for non-payment).