Faculty are the core of our institution.
This section includes policies and procedures — and prizes — that influence your faculty experience at CWRU.
Handbooks at Each School
In addition to overarching university policies, each school has developed guidelines for faculty
- Case School of Engineering
- College of Arts and Sciences
- Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing
- Mandel School of Applied Social Science
- School of Dental Medicine
- School of Law
- School of Medicine
- Weatherhead School of Management
- Faculty Senate
The CWRU Faculty Senate is composed of elected members of the university faculty, apportioned according to a formula specified in the Constitutionof the University Faculty, found in the Faculty Handbook.
- CWRU Chapter of American Association University Professors
The AAUP's purpose is to advance academic freedom and shared governance, to define fundamental professional values and standards for higher education, and to ensure higher education's contribution to the common good.
- Inamori "Excellence in Mentoring" award : recognizes an outstanding mentor who has passed on his or her wisdom as a subject matter expert and has given insightful guidance on such matters as research ethics, generating innovative concepts, the presentation of ideas, curricular development, effective teaching.
- Distinguished University Professor: a permanent, honorific title that acknowledges the outstanding contributions of full-time, tenured professors with a distinguished academic record of extraordinary research, scholarship, teaching and service.
Awards from Students
Kaiser-Permanente Excellence in Teaching Award (SOM)The Kaiser-Permanente Excellence in Teaching Award is given at commencement to faculty members who demonstrate exceptional commitment to the education of medical students. The winners of the award are chosen by the students and the award is given to two pre-clinical and two clinical faculty members from the University and College Tracks.
Gender Equity Award (SOM)The American Medical Women’s Association Gender Equity Awards are supported and presented by the WFSOM each year to a clinical and pre-clinical faculty member who the students feel exemplify the principle of gender equality in their teaching and who promote a gender-fair environment for the education and training of physicians. The recipients of these awards are chosen entirely by the senior graduating medical student body. Both recipients are Internal Medicine physicians at MetroHealth Medical Center.
Postdoctoral Mentoring Award
The Postdoctoral Mentoring Award recognizes an outstanding mentor who has passed on his or her wisdom as a subject matter expert and has given insightful guidance on such matters as research ethics, generating innovative concepts, the presentation of ideas, curricular development, effective teaching, and leadership.
ACES Opportunity Grants
Provides small amounts of supplemental support for current or proposed projects.
The Diversity Achievement Award is given to a student, a faculty member and a member of the staff for a total of three awards each year.
WFSOM Career Development Awards
- Helen Evans Mid-Career Professional Develoment Award: For a full-time woman faculty member with a current faculty appointment in the school of medicine at Case, and with five years or more experience at the assistant professor or associate professor level, but who has not yet obtained tenure or promotion to the full professor level.
- Junior Professional Development Award: For a full-time female faculty member with a current faculty appointment in the school of medicine at Case at the Instructor level or in the first five years of their career since appointment to the assistant professor level (at any institution).
Women of Achievement Mather Prize
Mather Prize Annual Award: Administered by the Flora Stone Mather Center for Women. The prize honors one woman from each school at Case Western Reserve for their excellence in research and scholarship. (Recipients chosen by their schools.)