A crucial part of the University’s Procurement Card program is the ongoing auditing feature. On-site audits are conducted on a continuous basis, with all departmental cards being audited annually, and individual cardholders randomly selected from each department for audits. This ensures that all cards are used for authorized purposes, and that precious University resources are being used responsibly.
Individual cardholders are audited for:
- Original itemized receipts
- Accurate reconciliation of receipts and monthly bank statements
Appropriate use of the cards
If you’re being audited, how should you prepare? The auditor will expect that:
- All cardholders will have all requested original itemized receipts and records ready for the audit
- PCard files are organized according to the monthly bank statements for each individual cardholder
- All cardholders and/or their administrators be available during the time of the on-site audit, and that all absences be communicated ahead of time
- Appropriate work space and access to a copier be provided for the auditor.