INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES (ITS)*
Information Technology Services (ITS) supports innovative technology applications, tools, and services to sustain powerful and secure learning, teaching, and research at Case Western Reserve University.
- A high speed network that provides 1-Gigabit connection to every student, faculty, and staff computer
- Wireless deployment with over 1,500 access points providing complete campus coverage
- MyCase portal for convenient access to many Case Western Reserve resources
- Software Center for personal productivity and general purpose software for free or at reduced educational rates
- Help Desk assistance for technical issues and troubleshooting
- Academic and instructional systems such as Blackboard and Courseware
- Telephone services, including Voice over IP, unified messaging, and discounted cellular calling plan
- Audio/video services (including cable TV and videoconferencing) and streaming video
- Residential broadband service at greatly reduced prices
- University-wide administrative systems including ERP financial and human resource systems and data management and warehousing tools
- Online collaborative resources such as Blog and Wiki applications
- Automated free backup system for faculty/staff desktop and laptops computers
- Research computing services including high performance computing, research database administration, and pre-award consultation
- eStore for the purchase of technology products at highly discounted prices
- University archives and records.
Instructional Technology and Academic Computing (ITAC)
ITAC supports faculty to creatively integrate technology into instructional and classroom pedagogy. Through innovative deployment of technology, customized instructional design, and one-on-one faculty support, ITAC helps faculty extend and enrich teaching and student learning. Services include:
- Streaming media, video-conferencing, online courseware, and IP Television
- New Media Studio - digital technology to create interactive learning environments
- 3D experiences and innovative multimedia
- Instructional design
- Technology enhanced classrooms
- One-on-one faculty support in the use of instructional technology by professionally trained staff
- Access to trained student technology consultants (STC) for convenient, just-in-time training, and support in faculty offices.
Faculty is eligible to download - generally at no cost - a variety of software packages that the University has purchased and made available through site licenses with software manufacturers. Packages and tools include:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Spam controls
- Virus protection
- Operating systems
- Desktop publishing
- Drawing and painting systems
- Mathematical and statistical packages and tools, and
- Programming languages.
Research Computing facilitates cost-effective access to IT resources, provides physical facilities for high performance research computing clusters, and offers ongoing administration and support of such services. Services include:
- High performance computational cluster
- Pre-award IT consultation
- Server hosting and administration
- Database hosting and administration
- Data storage
The Help Desk, administered by PerceptIS, provides technical computing support. Services include:
- Troubleshooting and technical assistance through e-mail, telephone, and walk-ins
- 24 x 7 phone support
- Online knowledge base
- Dispatching, if necessary, of technical assistants to campus locations to resolve user problems.
A to Z of ITS
For a comprehensive list of ITS services, applications, and policies, please go to www.case.edu/its/services/A-Zindex.htm.