Chapter 4

ARTICLE II. Guidelines for the Use of University Facilities by Individuals and External Groups*

Sec. A. In General

These guidelines apply to facilities whose use is controlled by the Office of Conferences and Special Events or the room control unit of the University Registrar's Office. Facilities controlled by other campus offices may have different procedures but will adhere to the same general policies.

The facilities and services of Case Western Reserve University are maintained to serve the needs of the university community--instructional, research scholarly, administrative, service, and social. Any individual or group using university facilities or services is expected to abide by the enclosed rules of conduct.

Case Western Reserve University reserves the right to withhold from any individual or group the use of campus facilities or services when, in the judgment of the University's officers, such use is not in the best interest of the institution or may place it in a position of legal liability or when the individual or group has failed to settle debts outstanding from prior activities.

Case Western Reserve University does not take positions on political issues other than those that relate directly to its own mission. University services and facilities may not be used for political fund-raising or to advocate a partisan political position. Requests for their use will not be granted for activities that may cause the University to appear to be taking a position with regard to a public issue or a candidate for public office.

Campus facilities are made available for various purposes in the following order of priority:

  1. Case Western Reserve teaching and research activities.

  2. University meetings and conferences

  3. Student activities

  4. Alumni activities.

  5. Nonprofit organizations with preference given to professional and learned societies and to other University Circle member institutions.

  6. Other organizations when the event is related to Case Western Reserve's interests.

Case Western Reserve campus facilities are not made available to individuals for private functions, with exception of memorial services or weddings in Amasa Stone and Harkness Chapels, and then only for members of the campus community (faculty, staff, students, alumni, members of governing boards, their parents or children). In exceptional situations, use of a chapel may be authorized for the memorial service of an individual who was not formally a member of the Case Western Reserve community but whose active involvement in the life of the University was demonstrated in other roles. In connection with a wedding or memorial service held on campus, a reception may also be held in an appropriate university facility. Reservations for weddings are accepted no more than one year in advance.

Fees are assessed for all private functions and for use by outside organizations.

Additional information is available from the Office of Conferences and Special Events.

Sec. B. Student Groups and Campus Organizations

Recognized student organizations, as defined in the April 12, 1976 report of the Faculty Senate Committee on Student Affairs or as this definition may be amended in the future, will be provided with space for their activities to the extent that it is available. These organizations will be furnished with office space without charge when it is available; note that the determination of the availability of office space is to be made by the appropriate university official named in the above-mentioned Faculty Senate report as authorized to recognize student organizations. Charges for the use of facilities other than necessary office space may be assessed by the University in certain circumstances, such as:

  1. When the requested facility must be opened during a university recess.

  2. When the proposed use of the facility results in the need for special cleaning or repair work.

  3. When the requesting organization plans to charge for admission to the event.

  4. When a gymnasium or other facility is to be used for purposes other than those for which it was designed.

Campus organizations which are not part of the University's formal educational program but whose membership is composed principally of students or employees of the University, may request the use of university facilities or services. Such a request must be submitted in writing to the vice president and university marshal, describing the purpose and the time period for which the facilities or services are desired, and listing the name of the university employee or student who would assume responsibility on behalf of the requesting organization. If the request is granted, the organization may not allocate to any other group or individual, either on or off campus, any portion of the facilities or services provided. Charges and other conditions of use will be stated by the University at the time the request is granted.

Sec. C. Political Issues and Activities

The University does not take positions on political issues other than those which relate directly to its own mission. University facilities and services may not be used for political fund-raising or to advocate a partisan position, and requests for their use will not be granted for activities which may cause the University to appear to be taking a position with regard to a public issue or a candidate for public office. This restriction also applies to the use of campus mail services, university mailing lists and labels, duplicating and printing equipment, and telephones belonging to the University.

Sec. D. Commercial and Personal Use of University Equipment

University facilities and services will not be made available to any member of the university community for unauthorized commercial enterprises or for purely personal use. Authorization for use may be given only by: the dean of the colleges or of the particular professional school; the vice president for finance and administration; the vice president and university marshal; the provost; or those they designate to provide such authorization. If the use of university equipment (typewriters, duplicating machines, computers, etc.) is granted, such use shall take place during hours which do not interfere with the activities for which the equipment is regularly employed. In addition, equipment may be operated only by individuals who are technically qualified and competent to do so. Charges will be assessed by the University for the use of equipment.

Student commercial enterprises, recognized as such by the University's Office of Business Affairs and registered with the Student Activities Office, will be charged commercial rates for the use of facilities.

*Office of the President 9/77; amended 11/87.