BY-LAW IV. Membership and Privilege of Attendance
The voting membership of the Faculty Senate shall be as provided in the Constitution, Article V, Sections C and F.
Pursuant to the Constitution, Article V, Section F, Paragraph 2, the closing date each year for receipt by the Secretary of the names of the members of each constituent faculty newly elected to voting membership in the Faculty Senate shall be March 1.
The Secretary shall keep a cumulative record of attendance at meetings of the Faculty Senate and, in February each year, shall submit to the Executive Committee the names of those elected faculty members of the Faculty Senate who have been absent from more than one-half of all regular and special meetings within the current academic year. Upon receipt of such report, the Chair shall designate a member of the Executive Committee to inquire of each member so listed as to the member's desire to continue membership in the Faculty Senate for the remainder of the term.
- Pursuant to the Constitution, Article V, Section C, student senators elected for one-year terms shall begin the day following their election. A student senator may serve on the Faculty Senate for no longer than three consecutive years.
- Procedures for the election of student senators shall be as follows:
- Undergraduate. Each year, the Secretary shall request the Vice President of Student Affairs to solicit letters of undergraduate student candidacy for membership for the following year by media available to all undergraduate students in the University, to administer a referendum for the election of one of the candidates so identified, to conduct a runoff election in the event of a tie vote, and to report to the Secretary the name of the undergraduate student so elected not later than May 1.
- Graduate. Each year the Secretary shall request the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies to initiate and administer the selection by the Graduate Student Senate of a graduate student to serve as a member of the Faculty Senate for the following year, and to report to the Secretary the name of the graduate student so selected not later than May 1.
- Professional School. Student representation on the Faculty Senate from the professional schools shall be by rotation among the respective schools, such rotation to be in the order of the respective dates of founding of the individual schools. Each year, the Secretary shall request the Dean or Provost of the professional school to be so represented the following year to initiate and administer an election by the student body of that school and to report to the Secretary the name of the professional school student so elected not later than May 1.
- In the event that a student chosen for membership in the Faculty Senate in any of the above three categories should not return to school in the autumn semester or in any other respect be unable or unavailable to serve, the Secretary shall request the appropriate administrative officer of those named previously in this item to initiate and administer a second selection by the procedure specified.
The privilege of attendance by non-members at meetings of the Faculty Senate shall be as provided in the Constitution, Article V, Section D, excepting, however, that, in addition to those therein specified, each of the following persons may designate an alternate to attend without vote and participate in the discussion:
- the deputy designated by the President for membership in the Faculty Senate as provided in the Constitution, Article V, Section C.
- the Secretary of the University Faculty and of the Faculty Senate.
- any Provost or Dean.