The Ted Karn Student and Postdoc Travel Stipend
The Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology, with the generous gift from Mr. Ted Karn, is able to offer two travel stipends per year of up to $500, to help defray travel and registration costs for students attending scientific meetings.
Who is Eligible
Only Ph.D. students and Postdocs in the Molecular Biology & Microbiology, Molecular Virology, and Cell Biology programs who have submitted abstracts to national or international scientific meetings are eligible.
Priority will be given to students whose abstracts have been accepted for oral presentation.
Applications will be judged on the merits of the scientific work and the importanceof the meeting.
Letter of Intent Deadline
If you are interested in receiving support, please submit a Letter of Intent (via e-mail to Brinn Omabegho at email@example.com) indicating your interest in applying for a travel stipend and:
- Name, dates and venue of the meeting you plan to attend
Meeting registration deadline
There are two deadlines for the submission of letters of intent:
- August 1st (for meetings in September to March)
- March 1st (for meetings in April to August)
After the letters of intent are considered by the Review Committee, selected students/Postdocs will be invited to submit an application packet containing the following items:
- Cover letter indicating the program you are currently studying in, your contact information, and an explanation about the significance of the meeting,
- Copy of the submitted abstract
- Letter of support from your supervisor indicating a commitment to provide the remaining required funds,
- Copy of the notice of acceptance which indicates whether the presentation is oral or poster, and
- Copy of the meeting registration
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and should be addressed to the attention of Dr. Jonathan Karn and submitted via email to Brinn (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please contact Brinn with any questions or concerns (phone 368-3915). One award per student.