Case Western Reserve's Non-Discrimination Policy includes protections against discrimination based on gender identity and expression.
The following conversation groups are facilitated by undergraduate students at the LGBT Center: Gender Resistance and QTPOC: UNITE!
Updating Systems Information
- Preffered Name Update
- Changing Default Email Address
- Adding Alternate Email Aliases
- Changing Case ID Card - Please email the LGBT Center Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to then work with Access Services
- Gender Change Policy & Form
- Set-up Nickname in Housing Contact Information
Please see a list of bathrooms around CWRU's campus that are single-stall, locking bathrooms.
Gender Inclusive Housing
For transgender people currently in need of support and assistance. This helpline is staffed by transgender people for transgender people, and is supported by donors.
- Trans Lifeline - (877) 565-8860
Transgender Benefits, In-Network: 80% of eligible charges are paid for by The Plan, the remaining 20% of charges are the responsibility of the student. Surgeries are limited to $50,000 per Plan year. Hormone Therapy is covered under the prescription benefit.
TransFamily of Cleveland was founded to provide support and education for transgender persons, their families, friends, and significant others. We are associated with PFLAG to promote awareness of transgender persons and their issues. The TransFamily support group meets the Second Saturday of every month 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM at The LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland (6600 Detroit Ave).
The GenderQueer discussion group meets every Thursday at The LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland (6600 Detroit Ave) at 6 PM. This group is led by community members and is open to all non-binary folks. MTF, FTM, Bi-gender, A-gender, GenderQueer, Gender-Fluid, Questioning, etc. For more information, contact Maya Simek at MSimek@lgbtcleveland.org or at (216) 651-5428 x 18.
Weekly youth programming (14-24 years old)
The Applewood Outpatient Therapy satellite clinic is a program within The LGBT Community Center that provides therapy services for LGBTQ youth. Counseling will be provided by Suzanna Chipman, LISW-S and will be available from 3:30 PM to 7:30 PM on Tuesday evenings at the LGBT Community Center. If you or your child is interested in receiving therapy, please submit a referral form with Center staff or by calling (216) 741-2241, ext. 1264.
May Dugan Center provides group therapy services to our youth, ages 17-21. This therapeutic discussion group meets weekly on Tuesdays, from 5:00-6:30 PM at the LGBT Community Center. Pre-registration is required. Please contact Program Director Maya Simek at MSimek@lgbtcleveland.org.
“The MetroHealth Pride Clinic is the first in the region devoted to serving the health needs of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. With specially trained physicians and support staff and an open and honest environment, we provide care that respects your unique health needs.”
Note: MetroHealth will ask for a legal name before they will enter a preferred name to make an appointment. Appointments are often only available months in advance
- Trans 101 from Sylvia Rivera Law Project
- A basic primer about transgender people and identities
- Transgender Rights Toolkit for College Students
- A legal guide for trans people and their advocates
- Trans Student Educational Resources (TSER)
- Links to educational, medical, legal, and informational resources and services.
- Information about trans health, including transition-related care as well as general healthcare.
- Trans Women of Color Collective
- "Trans Women of Color Collective (TWOCC) is a national organizing collective led by trans women of color created to uplift the narratives, leadership, and lived experience of trans folks of color. Historically, we have been the catalyst of change for social justice movements. TWOCC works to empower our community and allies to create and sustain revolutionary change!"
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project
- "The Sylvia Rivera Law Project works to guarantee that all people are free to self-determine gender identity and expression, regardless of income or race, and without facing harassment, discrimination or violence."
- Transgender Law and Policy Institute
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force - Transgender Issues
- International Foundation for Gender Education
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- TG Forum
- The Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction
- National Coalition for LGBT Health
- Healthy Bodies, Safer Sex
- A comprehensive guide to safer sex, relationships, and reproductive health for trans or non-binary people and their partners.