|ITS announces 2014-15 Active Learning Fellows|
This July, 12 Case Western Reserve University faculty members will immerse themselves in updated pedagogies, new teaching methods and modern academic technologies. The 12 faculty members were selected from more than 40 highly qualified applicants for the second annual Information Technology Services (ITS) Active Learning Fellowship.
Fellows will design or completely remodel their course with techniques that require active involvement by the students and the instructor. Technology will play a supporting role and enhance learning without hindering instruction. The adoption of 21st-century teaching methods remains a cornerstone of Case Western Reserve's next strategic plan, which also champions the creation of active learning environments at the university. See which faculty members were awarded the fellowship.
|Blackboard Learn update offers new features, enhancements||
Blackboard Learn received a significant upgrade, providing instructors with new, optional features to streamline their workflow. Enhancements include:
- More robust notifications: When an event takes place within a Blackboard course site, students and instructors will be notified in the "Updates" and "What's New" modules, as well as receive an optional email message. Use this feature to track new discussion board posts, set reminders for due dates, see when assignments have been graded, learn when a test has been made available and more.
- Easier group management: Instructors now may import a large number of students into groups at once, as well as identify students who do not have membership to a specific group.
- Improved testing and surveying: Updates to tests and surveys will improve the feedback and grading options available. Instructors will be able to view a detailed log of when each student accessed the test and each individual question.
- New date management tool: A new date management tool will make it easier to change due dates, availability dates, and release dates for content across an entire course.
- Better accessibility: Improved accessibility options will enable test exceptions for individual students and make course sites accessible via keyboard input.
To learn more about the upgrade, see the "Administrator Announcements" module on the Blackboard Learn homepage, blackboard.case.edu.
|Commencement livestream proves meaningful to graduating student, grandfather|
ITS' MediaVision provided the staging, lighting, audio, video and Web streaming in support of Case Western Reserve's annual commencement ceremonies across Veal Center, Horsburgh Gymnasium and Ford Auditorium on Sunday, May 18. More than 100 people viewed the live stream, including the grandfather of Class of 2014 President Gabriella Chandra, pictured above. Unable to travel due to ill health, Chandra's grandfather watched from Indonesia as his granddaughter delivered the senior class speech and received her diploma.
|MediaVision video production team awarded national honors||
The MediaVision video production team was awarded three Telly awards in May. The Telly Awards honor the very best film and video productions, groundbreaking online video content, as well as outstanding local, regional and cable TV commercials and programs. Watch the winning entries today:
- Case Western Reserve University Ph.D. program in Physiology and Biophysics
- CWRU School of Dental Medicine Cranio-Frontonasal Dysplasia; Craniofacial Anomalies Treatment at CWRU Craniofacial Orthodontic Clinic - Matthew Patient Story
- The Inverted Classroom Experiment
|in this issue:|
|2014-15 Active Learning Fellows announced|
|Blackboard Learn upgraded|
|Commencement livestream makes for special moment|
|New and updated on the Software Center|
| CAPS training|
|New on lynda.com|
|Top 5 lynda.com courses at CWRU|
June 10, 2014
This newsletter is published by Information Technology Services (ITS) at Case Western Reserve University. www.case.edu/its
Tech tips: Google Mail for administrative assistants
|From sending mail as your manager to labeling messages, Google Mail sports helpful features for administrative assistants. Peruse the full guide.
New and updated on the Software Center
|LabVIEW Spring 2014|
Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Freely available to CWRU faculty and staff members. Students may access via university-owned computers in lab settings.
Download this title and more at softwarecenter.case.edu.
The following CAPS courses will be offered during June; click the course title to register:
Check out lynda.com's newest titles today to discover informative, educational content that can help you improve your business skills, learn design concepts and get inspired!
The latest additions to the lynda.com library include:
The service is provided free to CWRU students, faculty and staff. Try it now!
Top 5 lynda.com courses at CWRU
The top 5 lynda.com courses being watched at CWRU during April were: