Definition of "coat of arms": an arrangement of bearings,
usually depicted on and around a shield, that indicates ancestry
Western Reserve University
In scarlet red and white, this coat of arms uses elements
of both the Western Reserve College seal
and the Western Reserve University seal.
The shield, in heraldic terms, represents faith. An open
book, which signifies scholarship and the Old and New Testaments,
has the Hebrew character "aleph" and the Greek
character "omega" on its pages. These symbols
represent the Hebrew and Greek origins of Western thought.
Wisdom and honor are symbolized by the sun, while its twelve
rays represent the twelve original trustees of WRC. The
eleven spaces between the rays signify the schools of WRU
in 1951. The simplicity of the two-color design was meant
"to signify the efficiency and contemporaneous viewpoint
of a unified, well-ordered institution of higher learning."
Despite the approval of a design that included the Hebrew
letter "aleph", the original sketch, like the
one pictured here, incorrectly featured the Greek letter
Designed by WRU's Division of Art, a committee headed by
WRU president emeritus Winfred Leutner presented the coat
of arms to the trustees' Executive Committee on January
11, 1951. At that same meeting, it was approved for use.
It was recommended that the coat of arms could be used on
publications, advertisements, jewelry, etc. It was not to
be used in place of the seal on official documents.
This is a variation of the original coat of arms, but also
features the date "1826" below the shield. The
date 1826 refers to the establishment date of WRC.
This is much the same as the previous WRU coat of arms,
but with several additions that move the design away from
the simplicity of the first. The simple scarlet and white
are replaced with heraldic colors. The background of the
book is azure blue, which denotes truth, the book remains
white, and the sun and its rays are golden. The date "1826,"
in black, has been incorporated into the shield.
The Greek letter "Nu" is replaced by the Hebrew
The May 20, 1954 edition of the student newspaper, Reserve
Tribune, described the changes to the WRU coat of arms.
The motivation for these changes is unknown.
This coat of arms exhibits the optional feature of crossed
olive branches, which implies peace and achievement.
This coat of arms exhibits the optional feature of a ribbon
that reads "Western Reserve University."
Case School of Applied Science / Case Institute of Technology
In the shape of a shield, this coat of arms features many
symbols related to industry. The white fields display the
activities and ideals of the school, while the brown fields
suggest the results and benefits of these activities.
In the upper left corner of the shield, the star symbolizes
pure science and the high ideals of the school's founder,
Leonard Case, Jr. Diagonal from the star, the target represents
the applied sciences. In the lower right white space, the
clarion (with bells rather than pipes), an ancient musical
instrument, "recognized the inclusion of the classics,
and the various cultural subjects in the curriculum."
In the opposite corner from the clarion is a drafting instrument.
In the brown field in the upper right corner, industry is
represented by the gear, while the building symbolizes engineering
structures. In the lower left corner, the shield over the
eagle suggests the defense of the nation.
The letters spelling Case are brown.
Professor of Engineering Drawing, Oliver M. Stone, designed
the coat of arms. It was approved by Case trustees' Executive
Committee on September 17, 1942.
It was to be used on jackets and stationery, as well as
"other places where its decorative effect can be appreciated."
Case Western Reserve University
The shield represents faith, while wisdom and honor are
signified by the golden sun. The star stands for science.
The crossed laurel branches represent achievement and academic
honors. The date 1826 signifies the establishment of WRU.
Case Western Reserve University was established on July
1, 1967, through the federation of WRU and Case. WRU president
John S. Millis formed an advisory ad hoc committee to design
coat of arms for the new University. Millis presented the
coat of arms to the trustees of CWRU, who approved it at
their first meeting on July 5, 1967. The coat of arms was
designed by William Ward of the Cleveland Museum of Art.
Information was compiled by staff of the Case Western Reserve University Archives, November 2004.
1WI 1:4 Report, WRU Office of the Secretary, The Seal of Western
Reserve University, December 7, 1950
1WI 1:4 Letter, C. Howard Allen to Carl M. Senn, 3/11/1954
2LE 1:2 Minutes, Western Reserve University Board of Trustees
Executive Committee, 1/17/1951
2ND 1:1 Minutes, CWRU Board of Trustees, 7/5/1967
4PN2 3:2 ?, "Artist Designs Shield as WRU Trademark,"
Reserve Tribune (3/2/1951): 4
4PN2 3:5 ?, Publications Will Don New Insignia,
Reserve Tribune (5/20/1954): 5
7PR 6:4 Press Release, Case Western Reserve University Office
of Public Relations, April 1968
19BE 3:3 Minutes, Case Trustees Executive Committee, 9/17/1942
20JA 4:1 ?, Coat of Arms Case Alumnus (November