Did You Know?
For 111 of its 180 years, at least one of Case Western Reserve University's schools was located
in downtown Cleveland.
Seven of Case Western Reserve University's schools began in downtown Cleveland.
In 1946/47, Cleveland College enrolled over 12,000 part-time and full-time students in three downtown locations.
During its 80 years in downtown Cleveland, the largest School of Medicine enrollment was 255 in 1849/50. Tuition was $50.
In 1881, Case School of Applied Science opened its doors to 16 students. Its downtown location, 7 Rockwell Street, is now occupied by Mall A.
The University's shortest-lived school, the School of Art, affiliated with Western Reserve University from 1888-1891, was located in (old) City Hall on Superior Avenue.
In 1910, the School of Pharmacy moved into the Ohio Wesleyan Medical School Building at Central Avenue and East 14th Street. The Medical Department of Ohio Wesleyan University had vacated the building earlier in the year, when it consolidated with Western Reserve University's School of Medicine.
During its first 4 years, the School of Dentistry was housed in the School of Medicine's building at East 9th and St. Clair.
In 1888, the first year of its affiliation with Western Reserve University, the Cleveland Conservatory of Music, offered 5 courses to 254 students in the Clarence Building on Euclid Avenue.