Description: 3-story plus attic Italian Renaissance
style, mill construction of brown shale brick and stone, 75x132 feet; containing
laboratories, library, offices, classrooms
The names of scientists which appear around the exterior near the top are:
west face: Rowland, Fresnel, Chladni, Galileo, Archimedes, Newton, Huyghens,
Carnot, Helmholtz, Maxwell;
north face: Henry, Koenig, Kepler, Kelvin, Arago, Fraunhofer, Joule;
east face: Ohm, Fizeau, Oersted, Young, Stokes, Regnault, Verdet, Gilbert,
Pascal, Ampere, Wheatstone;
south face (covered by the 1959 addition): Boyle, Faraday, Foucault, Franklin,
Volta, Mersenne, Hertz.
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.
1904-1905: Physical Laboratory
The Rockefeller Physical Laboratory
John D. Rockefeller, friend
William R. Watterson
The Samuel Austin and Son Co.
1905: Gift of $110,000 from John
D. Rockefeller, friend
1906-1949+: Case Physics Dept.
1906-1949+: Research and teaching,
Betatron dedicated: 2/2/1949
Alterations and Modifications
1948-1949: Built Betatron
vault underground, south of building
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.