case western reserve university



Mather Memorial Building

map Mather Memorial Building
Location: southwest corner of Bellflower Road and Ford Drive Description: Classroom and office building composed of a 3-story main structure with 2-story and basement wings; brick and stone with gravel roof
The inscription which encircles the top of the building is from The Holy Bible. Proverbs 31: 10-12, 20, 26-31. "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life... She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; Yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy....She openeth her mouth with wisdom: and in her tongue is the law of kindness. She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth no the bread of idleness. Her children arise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excelleth them all. Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates...Glory to be to the father and to the son and to the holy ghost"

This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.

Formal Name
Flora Stone Mather Memorial Building
Named For
Flora Stone Mather, friend
Other Names
Mather Hall
Administration Building
Mather Memorial

Constructed 1911-1913    
Architect Charles F. Schweinfurth

Cost 1911: $246,863
1911: Gift of $246,863 for construction and $50,000 for building endowment from Samuel Mather; other Gifts of unknown amounts from S. Livingston Mather, Amasa Mather, Constance Mather, and Philip Mather

1913-1942: Mather College
1943-1944: Mather College, Sociology Dept. and Political Science Dept.
1944-1949+: Mather College
1913-1949+?: Classes and offices

Cornerstone laying: 6/14/1911; Dedication: 9/13/1913
Last WRU building designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth

Alterations and Modifications

Mather Memorial Building

1929: Unspecified alterations
1929 addition: 2-story addition with basement, 75x157 feet; exterior masonry with same design in brick and Indiana limestone as original building
Charles W. Hopkinson
General Contractor
Lundoff-Bicknell Company
$333,662.35 estimated for alterations and addition
Gift of $314,160 from Samuel Mather
Samuel Mather, trustee
Dedication: 11/1/1930


This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.