case western reserve university




The University's Corner: 1882-1895

Adelbert Road and Euclid Avenue

1882-1895 | 1895-1956 | 1957-2004

This exhibit was prepared by the staff of the University Archives in conjunction with the redesign of the southwest corner of Euclid Avenue and Adelbert Road. It shows how this corner, most recently the site of the Baker Building, has been used by the University since the move to University Circle in 1882.

This corner was included in the farmland purchased from Liberty E. Holden and Martha C. Ford for the relocation of Case School of Applied Science and Western Reserve University. The entire property was bounded by Euclid Avenue on the north, Adelbert Road on the east, the railroad tracks on the south, and Doan Brook and Stearns Road (currently known as Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard) on the west.


WRU acquired the corner when the property was divided between the two schools. Case took the western side and WRU the eastern side. The corner remained vacant for over a decade. In the 123 years of University ownership, only two buildings have occupied the site: Henry R. Hatch Library (1895-1956) and Newton D. Baker Memorial Building (1957-2004).


This 1885 map of the Case and Adelbert campuses
shows the empty corner where Hatch Library and
Baker Building would later stand.

University campus

This 1890 view of the WRU and Case campuses was taken from about Euclid Avenue
and East 107th Street. The empty corner is circled. Also visible are Adelbert Main with
the steeple-like tower and Case Main with the shorter tower.

1882-1895 | 1895-1956 | 1957-2004
Information compiled by staff of the Case Western Reserve University Archives, March 2005.