case western reserve university



180 Events from 180 Years: 1890s


The college-age consumer was as attractive to advertisers in 1890 as it is in 2006. Merchants advertised a wide range of goods and services in the Adelbert College student yearbook.


Charles F. Thwing was inaugurated as Western Reserve University's sixth president. Thwing was the longest-serving president at either Case Institute of Technology or Western Reserve University, serving 31 years.


First classes were held by Western Reserve University's School of Dentistry, Department of Graduate Instruction, and Franklin Thomas Backus School of Law. Pictured are the first deans: Robert Deering, Graduate Instruction; Evan Hopkins, Law; and Charles R. Butler, Dentistry.


First Case School of Applied Science bag rush was held. It was an annual battle between the freshmen and sophomores. The winner gained the privilege of flying their class banner on the college pole for the rest of the week.


Edward Christopher Williams, Adelbert College Class of 1892, was the first African-American appointed librarian of Adelbert College.


The cornerstone was laid for Hatch Library. It was Western Reserve University's first building solely used as a library.


The first affiliation agreement was approved between Western Reserve University and University Hospitals of Cleveland (Lakeside Hospital).


Cornerstone was laid for Eldred Hall, the first student union of Adelbert College. Built as a Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) building, it housed committee and society rooms, and an auditorium for student social activities.


In response to the Spanish-American War, the Voluntary Case Corps of Cadets was organized for military drill exercises at the Case School of Applied Science.


On Class Day at the College for Women, the senior class performed a play.

Information was compiled by staff of the Case Western Reserve Archives, February 2006.