Emergency Salary Advance
Procedure no. V-5a
Effective date: 01/01/2008
Related Policy: V-5
Goal: To permit salary advance processing in emergency situations.
For Staff: Supervisor and Information Management/Records Office
For Faculty: Dean
For Student Employees: Supervisor Handbook
- Supervisors may request a salary advance on behalf of an employee only in emergency circumstances defined as unforeseen, unplanned and unavoidable events that require an employee to secure funds on short notice.
- In events of extremely confidential nature, employees may request an emergency advance directly from the Information Management/Records Office without prior consultation with the supervisor.
- Employees are entitled to only one emergency salary advance per 12-month period.
- The amount requested may be up to 70% of the time worked in the pay period and no more than the normal net pay for any pay period. The minimum request is $50.00.
- For advances of more than $100, supporting documentation may be requested to confirm the reason for the advance.
- Supervisors are to complete Emergency Salary Advance Request Form #HR40060101 (pdf) for employees who qualify for an advance. The request must be approved by the Dean or Department Head. If the employee is submitting the request directly, the employee must obtain the approval of the Information Management/Records Office of the Human Resources Department.
- Supervisors are to submit approved forms to the Information Management/Records Office of the Human Resources Department for final approval and processing.
- Emergency salary advance will be issued within three days following the receipt of the approved request.
- The advance will be deducted from the next regular paycheck (as long as the next paycheck has not been processed).