Case Western Reserve University
Instructions for Department External Billing Request
When requesting an external billing request, please fill out the External Billing Request form according to the following instructions:
- Please complete all of the areas on the EXTERNAL BILLING REQUEST.
- Be sure to verify the contact information, including the CONTACT NAME, PHONE NUMBER and CONTACT EMAIL.
- For the EXPLANATION OF CHARGES please provide a detailed description to be included on the invoice.
- Verify that the SPEEDTYPE is correct and the ACCOUNT supplied is an income account (i.e. 4XXXXX excluding 450099) or supply supporting documentation that the billing is for a reimbursement of expenses (i.e. 5XXXXX excluding 532xxx and 550099) paid by the department.
- Verify that all of the sections under the REQUESTOR INFORMATION heading are complete and accurate, in the event there are any questions.
- Please send the completed request(s) and all necessary supporting documentation that should be included with the invoice, by email to General Accounting at firstname.lastname@example.org with External Billing Request as the email subject or mail it to General Accounting, BioEnterprise 3rd Floor, LOC 7006.
- Once the completed request has been received, it will be reviewed for accuracy, completeness and processed within 2-3 business days. A copy of the invoice will be sent to the REQUESTOR for approval prior to being issued. If General Accounting does not receive a response, the invoice is considered complete and accurate and will be emailed (preferred method) or mailed to the customer the next business day.
- The EXTERNAL BILLING REQUEST, invoice and supporting documentation are kept electronically on file in the Controller’s Office.
- Once General Accounting posts the invoice within PeopleSoft, the speedtype listed on the EXTERNAL BILLING REQUEST receives the benefit of the amount invoiced.
- Invoiced amounts will be reflected in the applicable statements of the speedtype listed on the EXTERNAL BILLING REQUEST. The invoices will be listed with a description of BI Billing, journal number beginning with BI and the amount will be a credit (i.e. negative amount).
- All payments received from external customers should be sent to the Controller’s Office (Location Code 7006) for appropriate deposit and application of payment within PeopleSoft. Please DO NOT deposit any checks received in relation to EXTERNAL BILLING REQUEST invoices as a departmental deposit with the Cashier’s Office, as the speedtype you provided in your billing request has already received the benefit upon being invoiced.
- On a monthly basis, General Accounting will provide the REQUESTOR with a current aging, which will list all outstanding invoices. The aging will provide the REQUESTOR a summary of the open invoices including the invoice date and the age of the invoices. The normal payment of an invoice is 30-45 days and it is the REQUESTOR’S responsibility to follow up with the external customer to find out the status of payment and ensure payment will be received.
- The REQUESTOR has 120 days to ensure payment is received by the Controller’s Office. If payment is not received and the outstanding amount is deemed uncollectible, the outstanding amount will be written off back to the speedtype originally credited. The Controller’s Office will contact the department to discuss the payment status before any invoice is charged back to the department. If the department has made arrangements with the external customer to obtain payment, the Controller’s Office must be notified promptly.
If you have any questions, please contact General Accounting at email@example.com or 216-368-4274.
- On a monthly basis, external customer contacts will receive statements listing past due balances. Inquiries from the customers will be directed to the applicable REQUESTORS for follow up.