International Travel

Many faculty, staff, and students travel abroad on university business. When it comes to travelling internationally, the CWRU community is urged to “travel clean”. That is, consider leaving behind in the U.S. any research data, items, or technology which may be subject to laws requiring an export license or which may be vulnerable to loss, theft, or other privacy-related considerations. Particularly consider whether there is research data on your laptop and other electronic devices before taking them overseas. Take only those data that have been published or are in the public domain. To learn about best practices for academics traveling overseas, see “Best Practices for Academics Travelling Overseas” (pdf-attached).

If you are unsure about any data or materials you plan to bring as you travel abroad, call Lisa Palazzo, Director of Export Control and Privacy Management, 368-5791, or Boyd Kumher, University Chief Compliance, Export Control & Privacy Officer, 368-0833, or emailĀ

Case Western Reserve University


Contact 216.368.5791,; or call the Integrity Hotline at 1.866.483.9367 for anonymous reporting.

photo credit