CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH
case western reserve university

INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY OF THE UNIVERSITY IN SOCIETY

 
 

Overall Plan, Columbus Street Double Swing Bridge, 1895


Designed by Walter P. Rice, Chief Engineering, and James T. Pardee, Bridge Engineer, both of the City of Cleveland, and John Brunner of the Mount Vernon Bridge Works. This bridge, which spans the Cuyahoga River in the Flats area of Cleveland, stood until it was replaced by a lift bridge in 1940.

Click for complete image.
Click for complete (large file) image.

 

"The Columbus Street Bridge is worthy of special comment.: 'One of the most original and novel bridges in the city and the first of its kind ever built, as far as we are aware, with the exception of a contemporary. in Spain., is the double swing bridge at Columbus Street. This bridge is of special type, as its name implies, and was the outgrowth of special conditions. Its construction saved the City of Cleveland about $60,000 as against the proposed plan, and has proved one of the quickest moving and most satisfactory bridges on the river. This type does away with the old characteristic center pier, affording a clean opening of about 113 feet at the center of the stream. The two separate spans are designated as "bobtails," that is, one arm being shorter than the other and counterweighted. The roadway, when the bridge is closed, has a grade of about three feet per hundred feet and has a length of 279 feet total, the shore ends locking into anchorage and forming a cantilever.'"

From Elroy McKendree Avery, A History of Cleveland and Its Environs, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1918, pp 453-4.