Portion of the carved marble bench and bronze plaque marking the Peter R. Musselman Quadrangle, the area of the campus immediately west of the front entrance of Adelbert Hall. Mr. Musselman died in 1986, shortly after retiring from the University. He had served as the institution’s chief financial and administrative officer since 1969, providing important leadership in financial management, campus planning and development, and investments in athletics and student life. The area was dedicated to his memory in 1994.
Carved head of Amasa Stone, located over the “choir entrance” on the east wall of the chapel that bears his name. The chapel, designed by the Boston architect Henry Vaughan, also a principal designer of the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., was dedicated in 1911 as a gift to the University from Mr. Stone’s daughters, Clara Stone Hay and Flora Stone Mather. Mr. Stone was a businessman who was the lead donor of funds to finance the move of Western Reserve College from Hudson to Cleveland and the development of the Adelbert College campus in what is now University Circle.
Carved inscription on the Mary Chisholm Painter Arch, which served as a main entrance from Euclid Avenue to the campus of the College for Women, later Flora Stone Mather College. Built in the Gothic Revival style, the arch gained the nickname “the Tombs” per The Reserve Handbook for 1928-29, but was also held in high regard: “As a trysting spot, it has no equal on the university campus.”
Portion of the carved stone marker designating George Gund Hall, home of the School of Law. The marker sits on the walkway leading to the south entrance to the School of Law. Mr. Gund was an industrialist and banker, and was the chief executive of Cleveland Trust Bank. The foundation he created, the George Gund Foundation, was the lead donor to the effort to build the law school building, which was designed by the firm of Skidmore Owings & Merrill and opened in 1971. Mr. Gund’s son Graham Gund was the architect for the expansion of the building, completed in 1994.
A sun dial has been a fixture on the Mather College Campus since 1906, a gift of the College for Women Class of 1896. The one pictured here – just east of Guilford House – was installed in 1986. The 1928-29 Reserve Handbook describes the earlier version: “After student elections, classes hold impromptu rallies around it to cheer their new officers. Our neighbors from the south campus [Adelbert College students] find it an attractive rallying spot in their pep parades before big football games, while Monday night serenaders fresh from fraternity meeting find it indispensable not only for inspiration but for support.” The dial is catalogued as #270 in the register maintained by the North American Sundial Society.
Fleur-de-lis from the southwest column of the Mary Chisholm Painter Arch. See the entry for Image #3 for more information about the arch.
Portion of the carved inscription on the base of the memorial flagpole, dating to 1962, now located on the lawn between Amasa Stone Chapel and Baker building, just north of Adelbert Hall. The inscription reads in full: “In Memory of the Men of Case Who Gave Their Lives in the Nation’s Wars.” In the late 1980s or early 1990s the pole was moved to its current location from its original site near the Olin Building on the campus of Case Institute of Technology.
“The Searcher,” the stone carving over the main entrance to Tomlinson Hall, built in 1947 as the student center for Case Institute of Technology. It was named in memory of George A. Tomlinson, who had operated a fleet of ships on the Great Lakes. From time to time rumors circulate suggesting that the figure in the sculpture was designed to display hostility toward Adelbert College, just a few hundred feet to the east, whose students were rivals of Case students of the era, but there is no truth to this. Architect Frank E. Rhinehart of the firm of Walker & Weeks, who designed the building, commented: “In modeling this figure, we endeavored to tell a story of ‘The Searcher,’ ever searching for new things in the world and in science that make for a better world in which all society may live and prosper.”
Carved stone inset in the column of windows facing southwest in the inner courtyard of the Mather Memorial Building. The facility was dedicated in 1913 to the memory of Flora Stone Mather, the principal benefactress of The College for Women (later Mather College), and was designed by the noted architect Charles Schweinfurth. The building’s courtyard replicates certain features of a Shakespearian theater, including a paved stage and good acoustics, and has been used occasionally for drama and concerts.
Façade over the west entrance to Eldred Hall, home of the Department of Theater Arts. The original structure dates to 1897-98, when it was donated and constructed as a YMCA building by the Rev. H. B. Eldred, a retired clergyman, based on a design by architect William W. Sabin. For many years it was a major social center for students of Adelbert and Mather Colleges, as well as for faculty and staff who used the basement snack bar. The most recent addition to the building, dating to 1995, included the new, glass-enclosed main entrance crowned by this distinctive panel.
Certainly one of the oldest student traditions on the campus, the Hudson Relays are held every spring to commemorate the 26-mile move of Western Reserve College from Hudson to the present campus in Cleveland. Winning classes are recorded on two rocks located on the lawn in front of Adelbert Hall, this being the newer of the two rocks. The race, which dates from 1910, originally was run along roads connecting Hudson and Cleveland, but in 1990 safety concerns prevailed and the route is now a 26-mile course in and around University Circle, ending at the rock.
The key of Tau Beta Pi, the national honorary engineering society, located inside the main (north) entrance to the Bingham Building. The structure, completed in 1927, is named for Charles W. Bingham, a businessman who, with his son William Bingham, II, contributed funds to Case School of Applied Science to build and maintain a facility for mechanical engineering. The plaque under the key reads: “Dedicated to T. Keith Glennan [President of Case from 1947 to 1966] for exemplifying the ideals of the fraternity. Ohio Alpha Chapter of Tau Beta Pi, 1965.”
Institute for the Study of the University in Society| University West #20 | Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7229
| Phone: 216.368.2339 | Part of: College of Arts & Sciences
© 2011 Case Western Reserve University | Cleveland, Ohio 44106 | 216.368.2000 | legal notice