From the portico over the campus-side (west) entrance to Adelbert Hall. When Western Reserve College moved to this campus in 1882 as a result of a major gift from Amasa Stone, one of the conditions he set was that its undergraduate program would be named for his late son, Adelbert, who had died years earlier while a student at Yale. Western Reserve began to identify itself as a university at the time of the move, and after a few years Adelbert College became the name of the men's undergraduate college, parallel to the College for Women.
Decorative year marker over the main (west) entrance to the Rockefeller Physics Building. The building is named for John D. Rockefeller, Cleveland resident and founder of the Standard Oil Company (part of BP since 1987), who contributed funds to Case School of Applied Science to construct a physics building. This gift was one of many that Rockefeller made to both Case and Western Reserve beginning in 1880. The building was completely renovated in 1995.
Griffin and carved face on the southeast corner of the building formerly known as Hitchcock Hall and as “Thwing West” since 1979, when it became part of Thwing Student Center. Hitchcock was built as a private residence in 1897, and in 1916 became the administration building for the Cathedral Latin School, which was for a time located a few doors west on Euclid Avenue. The University acquired the property in 1926 for use as classroom and administrative space. The Spot, a social gathering place for students now located in Leutner Commons, began in the basement of Hitchcock in the 1970s.
Inscription along the front wall of the University Health Service on Adelbert Road. The building was originally the home of the School of Law, which moved into it in 1896, four years after the school was founded. The inscription shown in the image is taken from the Old Testament ( Deuteronomy, Ch. 17, V. 11). Other portions of the inscription come from diverse sources, including the 18th century English lexicographer and reformer Samuel Johnson. Still identified as “LEX” to passersby, the building has housed the University Health Service since 1983, joined more recently by Protective Services.
Inscription over the Adelbert Road entrance to Adelbert Gymnasium. Constructed originally as an armory for military training programs during World War I, the building was not completed until after the war. It adjoins the original gymnasium of Western Reserve University, which was built in 1888. Both spaces have been used for physical education, athletics, and recreational activities. Space to accommodate the One To One Fitness Center was added to the complex in 1988.
One of two carved shields (the other announces “Science”) removed from the walls of the Case School of Applied Science's main building when it was demolished in 1972. Both of the stone shields are now embedded in the banked stone wall in front of Yost Hall. Case Main, built in 1885, stood nearby in the area now occupied by the Michelson-Morley Fountain and the surrounding plaza. Leonard Case, Jr., whose posthumous donation in 1880 made possible the creation of the Case School of Applied Science, had specified that the institution should offer instruction in "mathematics, physics, engineering mechanical and civil, chemistry, economic geology, mining and metallurgy, natural history, drawing, and modern languages.” Case Main was designed by John Eisenmann, who was also the school's first professor of civil engineering.
Inscription over the main entrance to the Mather Memorial Bulding, named for Flora Stone Mather, whose generosity was so instrumental in the founding and growth of the College for Women at Western Reserve that the college was named for her in 1931. The building dates to 1912, and was made possible through gifts in her memory from her husband, Samuel Mather, and other members of her family. The inscription reads in full, “In Memory of Flora Stone Mather, A Loving Benefactor of This College.” The building houses classrooms, departmental offices, and radio station WRUW-FM.
Carved statue over the main entrance to the Albert W. Smith Building, home of the Department of Chemical Engineering. Albert W. Smith was an 1887 alumnus of the Case School of Applied Science, returning in 1891 to join the Case faculty after earning a Ph.D. in Zurich. He was a leading chemist and metallurgist, and was widely known as a dedicated teacher and researcher. His interests were broad, ranging from pure science to industrial applications, and including as well the first environmental studies of Lake Erie drinking water. His service to Case ended with his death in 1927. The facility was built in 1938.
Carved inscription over the main entrance of the Kelvin Smith Library, which opened in 1995 as the University's main library. The building honors the memory of A. Kelvin Smith, one of the three sons of Case Professor Albert W. Smith who worked together to found the Lubrizol Corporation. The foundation created by Mr. Smith and his late wife provided major support for the new library building, with additional support from members of the Smith family and from other friends of the University. The building was designed as a “library of the future,” accommodating electronic as well as traditional holdings and services.
West façade of Clark Hall, home of the Baker-Nord Center for the Humanities and other departmental and instructional space. Clark opened in 1892 as the first academic building on the campus of the College for Women, later known as Flora Stone Mather College. It was the result of a gift from Eliza Clark, and built on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Jeptha Wade. Its top floor was originally a gymnasium. It is the only Cleveland building designed by the noted New York architect Richard Morris Hunt.
Seraph looking westward from the roof of Harkness Chapel toward Haydn Hall. Built in 1902 as a memorial to Florence Harkness Severance, the chapel was made possible through gifts from the Harness family and from her husband, Louis Severance, to support the College for Women. It was designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth, architect of many of the region's most elegant buildings. The facility was used for many years by Mather College for convocations, assemblies, and compulsory chapel, but in recent years has become primarily a rehearsal and performance space for the Department of Music.
Façade of Mather House, facing onto Euclid Avenue. Built in 1914, Mather House was a gift from the Alumnae Association of the College for Women on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the founding of the College, and it was named in honor of the College's principal benefactress, Flora Stone Mather. Architect Abram Garfield, son of U.S. President James A. Garfield, designed the facility as a residence for women students, and it was used for that purpose until the late 1960s, when it became the University's first coeducational residence hall. It currently houses several academic departments in the Humanities and Social Sciences.
Institute for the Study of the University in Society| University West #20 | Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7229
| Phone: 216.368.2339 | Part of: College of Arts & Sciences
© 2010 Case Western Reserve University | Cleveland, Ohio 44106 | 216.368.2000 | legal notice