CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH
case western reserve university

INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY OF THE UNIVERSITY IN SOCIETY

 
 

Campus Markings Contest #9: Seen on the South Side - Answers

Image Identification:


Scene #1

Concrete marker on the southeast corner of Euclid Avenue and Martin Luther King Blvd., marking the traditional entrance to the campus of Case Institute of Technology. The marker was placed there during the 1970s to ensure continued visibility for CIT.

Main façade of Amasa Stone Chapel, facing north toward Euclid Avenue. Designed in Gothic Revival style by Boston architect Henry Vaughan, the chapel was dedicated in 1911 as a tribute to Amasa Stone, the railroad baron who was a generous donor to Western Reserve University. Funding for the project came from gifts by Stone’s daughters, Flora Stone Mather and Clara Stone Hay.

“Desire to Heal,” a sculpture by Michael Tradowsky, a former member of the faculty of the School of Dental Medicine. The sculpture was installed in 1973 near the street-level entrance to the School’s clinic.

Portion of the metal rim and stone base of the Michelson-Morley Fountain, located on the Case Quadrangle on the former site of the Case Main Building, which was removed in 1972. The fountain com-memorates the 1887 research by physicist Albert Michelson of Case and chemist Edward Morley of Western Reserve, which dramatically disproved the then widely accepted notion that the earth floated in a sea of ether.

Ornamental railing on Tomlinson Hall, facing west toward Martin Luther King Blvd. Built in 1947 as the student center for Case Institute of Technology, the building was named in memory of George A. Tomlinson, whose company had operated a fleet of ships on the Great Lakes.

Stone work over the main entrance to the Harland G. Wood Building of the School of Medicine, facing north toward Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital. When the building opened in 1924, it was thought to be the most modern and best-equipped pre-clinical facility for medical education in the nation. In 1992 the building was named in honor of Harland Goff Wood, long-time professor and chair of Biochemistry.

Ventilation shafts emerging from the ground between Strosacker Auditorium and the Rockefeller Physics Building on the Case Quadrangle.

Colonnade along the east wall of the Health Sciences Library in the Frederick C. Robbins Building, looking south toward Circle Drive. Formerly known as the east wing of the School of Medicine, this building was completed in 1971 and is part of the Louis Stokes Health Sciences Center. In 2003 it was renamed in honor of Professor Robbins, the Nobel Laureate who served as Dean of the School of Medicine and University Professor.

Base of columns supporting the portico over the main entrance to Adelbert Hall, facing west toward Tomlinson Hall. Adelbert was the name of the late son of Amasa Stone, whose gift in 1880 made possible the move of Western Reserve College from Hudson to this site. One of the terms of his gift was that the men’s college would be named for his son, who had died years earlier while a student at Yale. The building was completed in 1882.

Exterior of the four-story atrium in Nord Hall, seen from the west (along Martin Luther King Blvd). Built in 1988 as Enterprise Hall to house the Weatherhead School of Management, the structure was renovated and renamed in 2003 in honor of the Nord family when the School of Management moved to its new facility on the north campus.

Exhaust stacks along the south end of the roof of the Albert W. Smith Building. The facility with completed in 1939 and named in memory of Professor Albert Smith, who had provided distinguished leadership for chemistry and chemical engineering at Case.

Tower marking the main entrance of the School of Medicine’s Iris S. and Bert L. Wolstein Research Build-ing, facing west toward the Health Sciences Center. Dedicated in 2003, the building accommodates world-class space for biomedical research conducted by several departments of the School of Medicine.