CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH
case western reserve university

INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY OF THE UNIVERSITY IN SOCIETY

 
 

Campus Markings Contest #8: Campus Minutiae - Answers

Image Identification:

Click for larger image.
Minutiae #1

Four of the large-scale toy blocks along the west facade of the parking garage for Rainbow Babies & Childrens Hospital located on Adelbert Road. The garage was built on the 1990s on the former site of the Cuyahoga County Coroner's Office (also known as the County Morgue) after the Coroner moved to the former University Circle Research Center Building at Cedar Avenue and Carnegie Ave. The l etters on the three blocks stacked in a pile stand for “University Hospitals of Cleveland,” of which RB&C is a unit.

Main (west) entrance to Harkness Chapel on the historic campus of Flora Stone Mather College, located on Bellflower Road. Built in 1902 as a memorial to Florence Harkness Severance, the chapel was made possible through gifts from the Harkness family and from her husband, Louis Severance, to support the College for Women (later named Mather College). It was designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth, architect of many of the region's most elegant buildings. The facility was used for many years by Mather College for convocations, assemblies, and compulsory chapel, but in recent years has become primarily a rehearsal and performance space for the Department of Music.

Lamp at the east entrance to the Rockefeller Physics Building. The building is named for John D. Rockefeller, one-time Cleveland resident and founder of the Standard Oil Company (part of BP since 1987), who contributed funds to Case School of Applied Science to construct a physics building. This gift was one of many that Rockefeller made to both Case and Western Reserve beginning in 1880. The building was completely renovated between 1993 and 1996, when this and a matching lamp were added to the east entrance along with many other improvements.

Rocking chair and railing on the front porch of Guilford House, known originally as Guilford Cottage. Built in 1892 as the first dormitory specifically for students of the College for Women, it was a gift from Flora Stone Mather, who asked that it be named for Linda Guilford, her favorite teacher at the Cleveland Academy, where she attended preparatory school. The Cleveland architectural firm of Coburn and Barnum designed the building, which continued to be used for student housing until the 1970s. Today it accommodates offices of faculty in several departments in the College of Arts and Sciences, as well as a lounge and a small dining room that preserve the earlier residential character of the facility.

Grillwork on the ground level of the north façade of the Veale Center Parking Tower, located on Adelbert Road at the bridge over the RTA Rapid Transit and railroad tracks on the south campus. The garage was built in 1991, and was renamed in 1998 following a special gift from Case alumnus Tinkham Veale II, who was also the principal donor to the Veale Convocation, Recreation, and Athletic Center, which is immediately to the west. The garage sits on the former site of a surface parking lot.

Southern wall of the elevated walkway connecting the Kent Hale Smith Engineering and Science Building and the Albert W. Smith Chemical Engineering Building. The walkway was added when the former building was built in 1994. Kent Smith was a 1917 alumnus of the Case School of Applied Science and a long-time member of the institution's Board of Trustees, and served as Acting President of Case Institute of Technology from 1958 to 1961. With his two brothers and others, he was a co-founder and later chief executive of the Lubrizol Corporation. Their father, Albert Smith, was an 1887 alumnus of the Case School of Applied Science and was a Professor of Chemistry there until his death in 1927.

Top portion of the northwestern component of Turning Point, the title work in the sculpture garden located along Bellflower Road, north of the Kelvin Smith Library and Thwing Center. Turning Point was dedicated in 1997 to mark the pivot point for the walkway connecting the north and south portions of the University's campus and to serve as a central theme for the overall renaissance of the campus. The sculpture was done by the late Phillip Johnson, native Clevelander and noted 20th century architect. He is also responsible for the other pieces in the sculpture garden, all of which are part of the University's Putnam Sculpture Collection.

Window in the west wall of Nord Hall, on the fourth floor at the point where Nord joins the Sears Library Building. Built in 1988 as Enterprise Hall to house the Weatherhead School of Management, the structure was renovated and renamed in 2003 when the School of Management moved to its new facility on the north campus. The building's new name honors the Nord family, whose members include a number of University alumni and who have been very generous to the institution. In addition to the Engineering dean's office, it contains the office of the Dean of Graduate Studies, classrooms, a computer laboratory, a conference center, and a number of other administrative offices and student lounge areas.

Unstable Tables, a 1982 sculpture by Carl Floyd, is also part of the Putnam Sculpture Collection and is located amid the residence halls and tennis courts on Carlton Road on the south campus. A former member of the faculty of the Cleveland Institute of Art, Floyd is known for mixing natural and man-made materials in his work. These large sandstone blocks are reminiscent of ancient monoliths, and are designed to blend into their surroundings. Entrants to this edition of the Campus Markings contest supplied several campus nick names for the sculptures, among them “mushroom sculptures, “Stonehenge,” “AT-ATs” (with a nod toward Star Wars), and “Rocks on Sticks.” Another entrant reported a campus legend: a first kiss shared amid the stones “will yield many more lovely dates with a partner.”

Main (north) entrance to Clark Hall, built in 1892 based on a design by the noted New York architect Richard Morris Hunt, who also designed the façade of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the base of the Statue of Liberty. The building was made possible though a gift of $100,000 from Eliza Clark, a friend of the university, and was constructed on land donated by Jeptha Wade, II. Clark Hall was the first academic building built for the College for Women, with classrooms, a recreation center, a library, and a gymnasium on the top floor. The building was rededicated in 1999 after receiving a facelift thanks to a generous gift from the Nord Family and other donors, and today houses the Baker-Nord Center for the Humanities, classrooms, and faculty offices.

Canopy over the upper (southern) terminus of the “Elephant Stairs,” built in 1968 to link Case Institute of Technology's Murray Hill residential complex with its then-new counterpart located above on Carlton Road. The canopy was added in the 1980s after the original system of heating elements embedded in the concrete treads proved ineffective at keeping the stairway clear of snow and ice. The treads are so large that persons of average height require two or even three steps per stair.

Southwest door to Amasa Stone Chapel, known formally as the “President's Entrance.” Designed by the Boston architect Henry Vaughan, also a principal designer of the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., the chapel was dedicated in 1911 as a gift to Western Reserve University from Stone's daughters, Clara Stone Hay and Flora Stone Mather. Stone was a 19th-century “railroad baron” who was the principal donor of funds in 1880 to finance the relocation of Western Reserve College from Hudson to Cleveland and the development of the Adelbert College campus in what is now University Circle.