CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH
case western reserve university

INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY OF THE UNIVERSITY IN SOCIETY

 
 

Campus Markings Contest #12: Here & Near - Answers

Image Identification:


Here & Near #1

Carved stone marker in front of the main entrance to Thwing Center, facing Euclid Avenue. Thwing Center includes spaces for student activities and other campus events as well as the University Bookstore and dining facilities. Thwing Hall, the largest of the three components that make up the Center, was originally built in 1908 to house the Excelsior Club, a men’s club, and was purchased by Western Reserve University in the 1930s.

Windows and ornamental carving on the east façade of Adelbert Hall, the University’s main administrative building. It was the first structure built for Western Reserve University when the institution moved to Cleveland from Hudson, Ohio, in 1882, and served as the home of Adelbert College. Adelbert Stone was the late son of Amasa Stone, whose gift financed the move and construction of the building.

Lantern on the brick wall along the south façade of the Art Studio Building at Adelbert and Murray Hill Roads, flanking what was originally the main entrance to the oldest component in the complex. The University purchased the facility in the late 1990s from the Minnillo family, who had operated it as a restaurant for several decades, most recently as The Greenhouse. It houses studio and gallery space for faculty and students.

Portion of the mural straddling the retaining wall at the railroad bridge over Mayfield Road in Little Italy. Depicting many elements in the Italian-American cultural tradition that goes back more than a century in that neighborhood, the mural was painted in the 1990s under the direction of Tim Shuckerow, Director of Art Education and Art Studio, working with students from the University and from area schools.

Detail from bronze figure of the late Professor Ignacio Ocasio (“Doc Oc”), a chemistry instructor who died suddenly in 2005 and who was widely known for his extraordinary service to his students. The figure, executed by A. Joseph Kinkel and formally installed in 2009, is seated on a matching bronze bench near the Hudson Relay Rocks at the southwest corner of Adelbert Hall, where he annually would cheer on the first-year student team in the race.

Elements of the sculpture Dancers, a 2008 work by Cleveland architect Richard Fleischman. The painted blue steel figures, some rising to 30 feet, are located in the Mildred Putnam Sculpture Garden near the northwest corner of Euclid Avenue and East 118th Street. They are part of the University’s Putnam Sculpture Collection, consisting of several dozen works by artists with roots in the region.

Courtyard at the Mandel Center for Nonprofit Organizations, which fronts on Bellflower Road. The courtyard is open to Hessler Court, and offers outdoor seating and walkways in addition to the graceful pergola. The building, which houses classrooms and offices, was completed in 2007 with major support from the Mandel family.

Baldachino – a decorative canopy -- atop the Kent H. Smith Engineering and Science Building. The building, completed in 1994, was designed by the Boston architect Elizabeth Ericson, the first woman to design a building on the university’s campus. Smith was a 1917 alumnus of the Case School of Applied Science and a long-time trustee. With his two brothers and others, he was a co-founder and later chief executive of the Lubrizol Corporation.

Roof ornament (after a classical Greek architectural element call an akroterion) on the northwest corner of the School of Medicine’s Harland Wood Building. Completed in 1924, the building accommodates teaching and research space. Wood was a celebrated Professor of Biochemistry at the school from 1946 to his death in 1991. The Celeste Biomedical Research Building is visible to the right, and facilities of University Hospitals to the left.

Pima, an aluminum sculpture by Arthur Gibbons located along the south lawn in front of Crawford Hall. One of three works by Gibbons in the University’s Putnam Sculpture Collection, Pima was executed and installed in 1993. Gibbons is a native of Ohio and is currently Director of the Milton Avery Graduate School of the Arts at Bard College.

North wall of the Cozad-Bates house on Mayfield Road at East 115th Street, the only surviving pre-Civil War era structure in University Circle. Abolitionist Andrew Cozad built the house for his son in 1853, and it is believed that the space beneath the structure was a station on the Underground Railroad for slaves making their way north to Canada. The building, now owned by University Circle, Inc., is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Flying buttress near the southwest corner of the Amasa Stone Chapel, the Gothic Revival memorial contributed by Stone’s two daughters in 1911. Buttresses such as this are a classic element in Gothic architecture, where they helped to transfer the thrust of the structures horizontal beams to vertical poles. The chapel was designed by Henry Vaughan, who also was one of the architects of the National Cathedral in Washington, DC.