CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH
case western reserve university

INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY OF THE UNIVERSITY IN SOCIETY

 
 

Campus Markings Contest #11 - What a Neighborhood! - Answers

Image Identification:


Neighbor #1

Mural on the north wall of the Cleveland School of the Arts on Stearns Road. CSA is an arts magnet school in the Cleveland Municipal School District. The school occupies a building that was originally built in 1910, and served from 1928 to 1936 as the first home of the Department of Education at Western Reserve University. The mural, painted by artist Mark Harris in 1998, illustrates the school’s four main areas of study: dance, drama, music, and visual arts.

Steggie II, an eight-foot-tall fiberglass sculpture of a stegosaurus  that welcomes visitors to the Cleveland Museum of Natural History on Wade Oval. The original Steggie, by sculptor Louis Paul Jonas, was installed on the site in 1968, and was replaced by this improved version in 1998. Generations of children have climbed up and down these sculptures as an almost essential element of a visit to the museum.

Portable steam engine located at the East Boulevard entrance to the Western Reserve Historical Society since the early 1980s. Built in 1915 by the Emerson-Brantingham Company, the engine was pulled by horses from farm to farm, where it was used to drive machines such as wheat threshers or sawmills, using a large belt attached to its flywheel. The engine does not drive the wheels of the wagon on which it sits.

Façade of the Cleveland Institute of Music, facing onto East Boulevard. Founded in 1920 in downtown Cleveland, the Institute moved into its new home in University Circle in 1961. The façade shown here is part of a set of major additions and improvements to the CIM facility that were designed by architect Charles Young and completed in 2007. For the past 40 years, CIM and the University have cooperated in offering joint programs in music.

Euclid’s Circle, a 16-foot-high aluminum sculpture by David Evans Black that is installed in front of the Triangle Building on the southeast corner of the intersection of Euclid Avenue and Mayfield Road. The piece is part of the University’s John and Mildred Putnam Collection, which includes dozens of outdoor sculptures and other works located throughout the campus.

Detail of the 2004 “Kohl Gate” by metal sculptor Albert Paley, located between the Cleveland Botanical Garden’s Hershey Children’s Garden and Wade Oval. Rising to a height of 15 feet, the gate offers a stylized representation of the local and international plant life that grows behind it. Based in Rochester, NY, and known nationally for his work, Paley fashioned the gate from Corten steel.

North wall of the Joseph S. and Jeanette M. Silber Hope Lodge, located on Mayfield Road just south of Euclid Avenue. This and many other Hope Lodges around the nation are operated by the American Cancer Society to provide temporary housing for cancer patients and their family members if they must travel far from home for treatment. Mrs. Silber worked with the architect to model the facility after the Van Sweringen mansion in Shaker Heights.

Canopy and a cluster of poles at the main entrance to the Cleveland Botanical Garden, suggesting a grove of trees similar to those in the institution’s rain forest complex located inside the building Completed in 2003 and designed by native Cleveland architect Graham Gund, the entrance is part of a major expansion and update to the building complex that has served as CBG’s home since the 1960s.

Rocker II, a sculpture in stainless steel completed in 1989 by David L. Deming, located on the lawn in front of the main entrance to the Cleveland Institute of Art, whose façade is visible through the opening in the middle of the piece. Deming, who is the President of CIA as well as a noted sculptor, has loaned the piece to the Institute. One of his other pieces from the Rocker series is located near the North Residential Village.

New east wall of the Cleveland Museum of Art, located along East Boulevard. The faced shown here is part of the expansion of the museum designed by architect Rafael Vinoly. Scheduled for completed in 2012, the additional space complements the museum’s original space, designed by local architects Hubbell and Benes and completed in 1916, and the 1971 north addition designed by Marcel Breuer.

Roof of the Children’s Museum of Cleveland, located on Euclid Avenue between Stearns Road and Stokes Boulevard. Founded in 1981, the museum moved to this location – a former Howard Johnson’s restaurant – in 1986. In the 1990s, pressed for space, the museum added a pavilion that provides substantially more exhibit area, crowned by the circus-style roof peaks.

Detail of Fountain of the Waters, a 1927 sculpture by Chester A. Beach located in the Fine Arts Garden near the south entrance to the Cleveland Museum of Art. Made of marble, the work featured a bowl-shaped fountain with groups of figures around its perimeter. During good weather, the fountain is a popular backdrop for photographs of wedding parties and other groups.