CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH
case western reserve university

INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY OF THE UNIVERSITY IN SOCIETY

 
 

Campus Markings Contest #10: Northern Exposures - Answers

Image Identification:

Exposure 1
Exposure #1

Bay windows, with stained glass panes by Louis Tiffany, at the southwest corner of Harkness Chapel. Built in 1902 as a memorial to Florence Harkness Severance, the chapel was made possible through gifts to support the College for Women from the Harkness family and from her husband, Louis Severance. It was designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth, architect of many of the region's most elegant buildings. The facility was used for many years by Mather College for convocations, assemblies, and compulsory chapel, but in recent years has become primarily a rehearsal and performance space for the Department of Music.

Top element of “Start,” a sculpture of stainless steel, painted steel, and stone by area artist David E. Davis. The sculpture, executed in 1981 in the shape of an arch, is located near Sherman House in the North Residential Village. It is part of the John and Mildred Putnam Sculpture Collection, other pieces of which may be seen across the campus.

Ornamental stone carvings at the northwest corner of the Church of the Covenant, just east of Mather House. The church, designed in the Gothic Revival style by architect Ralph Adams Cram, was dedicated in 1911. Known originally as the Euclid Avenue Presbyterian Church, the Covenant is associated with the Presbyterian Church (USA). Its congregation includes many members of the University community as well as residents from throughout the region.

Detail of the large, curvilinear sculpture by architect Philip Johnson that is part of the “Turning Point Sculpture Garden” behind Thwing Center, next to Freiberger Field. Installed in 2000, the mesh walls of the piece surround benches and tables to provide another gathering site in the grassy area. All the elements of the Sculpture Garden are part of the Putnam Collection.

Second-floor porch at the northwest corner of Iris A. and Bert L. Wolstein Hall on Bellflower Road. The building was built in 1910 as the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Washington Tyler. From the 1950s, it was used as a fraternity house, and in 2001 it was renovated and named for the Wolsteins, who provided a major gift to underwrite the project. It serves as the principal locus for the undergraduate programs of the Weatherhead School of Management.

Statue honoring the poet Hart Crane, located along the north wall of Kelvin Smith Library. The sculpture was executed in 1985 by William McVey, whose likenesses of leading figures and other works can be found in several locations on campus as part of the Putnam Collection and in major museums nationally and internationally. Crane was born in Ohio and grew up primarily in Cleveland, living for a time in the University Circle area. He died in 1932 at the age of 33, leaving a body of lyric poetry that remains popular today.

Clock tower at the southwest corner of the Village at 115, which opened in 2005. The complex of seven residential houses, the first phase of a project that will eventually provide new housing for all undergraduates, combines with a large parking structure to surround the University’s football field and track. The clock tower includes a coffee shop, a convenience store, and a fitness center.

“Avignon,” a metal sculpture by Arthur Gibbons in the courtyard area along the south wall of the George S. Dively Executive Education Center. Executed in aluminum in 1997, the piece is one of three by Gibbons in the University’s Putnam Collection. Gibbons is a native Ohioan, and now serves on the faculty of Bard College.

“Mermaids,” designed by Fidardo Landi, who died in 1918, and completed in 1929 by Chester Beach. The sculpture is located in the Fine Arts Garden in front of the Cleveland Museum of Art, and is perched on the east edge of the stone wall that surrounds the lagoon that is the main feature of the Garden. Beach also sculpted other pieces in the Fine Arts Garden, most notably the massive “Fountain of the Waters,” which sits just south of the old main entrance to the Museum of Art.

Lantern at the main (northeast) entrance to the Mather Memorial Building, named for Flora Stone Mather, whose generosity was so instrumental in the founding and growth of the College for Women at Western Reserve that the college was named for her in 1931. The building, designed by Schweinfurth in 1911, was made possible through gifts in her memory from her husband, Samuel Mather, and other members of her family. The building houses classrooms, departmental offices, and radio station WRUW-FM.

“Alphabet Series: Blue,” one of four sculptures by Fletcher Benton in the University’s Putnam Collection. Benton, a native of Ohio, executed the painted steel sculpture in 1989, and it was installed on its site on East Boulevard near the School of Law in 1991. Benton’s “Alphabet Series” transforms letterforms into three dimensional shapes.

Detail of the main entry to the “Silver Spartan,” the diner on Bellflower Court. A campus fixture since the 2002-03 academic year, the “Spartan” offers informal meals in the American diner tradition. As one contestant noted, “Known for good milk shakes and smoothies, they have a historically long wait for service, but they are getting better.”