CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH
case western reserve university

INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY OF THE UNIVERSITY IN SOCIETY

 
 

Campus Markings Contest #5 - Fragments of Learning - Answer Page

Click for larger image.
Photo #1

Section of carved stone, bearing ornamentation (shields and triglyphs) characteristic of classical Doric architecture, removed from the walls of the Case School of Applied Science's main building when it was demolished in 1972. This section is embedded in the banked stone wall along the south side of the entrance to Yost Hall, while other similar sections can be found close by. Case Main, built in 1885, stood in the adjoining area, now a plaza featuring the Michelson-Morley Fountain and informal outdoor seating. Case Main was designed by John Eisenmann, a classically trained architect who was also the school's first professor of civil engineering.

Large stone urn, one of two located on either side of main entrance on the north façade of the Allen Memorial Library Building, overlooking Euclid Avenue. The Cleveland Medical Library Association developed Allen Memorial, which also houses the Dittrick Medical History Center and Museum. The Cleveland architectural firm of Walker & Weeks, noted in the Midwest for their classical revival style, designed the building along with many other important structures in Cleveland, including the Federal Reserve Bank, the Cleveland Public Library, and Severance Hall. Dating to 1925, the building is considered an architectural prize and is both a Cleveland Landmark and one of the buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Windows (bay window capped by a “fanlight”) on the north wall of the George S. Dively Executive Education Center, located at the southeast corner of Bellflower and Ford Roads. Built in 1994 to accommodate the Weatherhead School of Management’s rapidly expanding programs in continuing and executive education, the building echoes the residential style of many other nearby structures. The late George Dively, a long-time member of the University’s Board of Trustees, was the chief executive officer of the Harris Corporation.

Stone marker bearing the seal of Adelbert College of Western Reserve University. Currently embedded in the small garden area near the southwest corner of Adelbert Hall, the marker was originally part of the walls of the Physics Building, constructed in 1894 as a result of a gift from trustee and donor Samuel Mather. Until 1941, Adelbert College was a separate corporation from that of Western Reserve University, though the boards of the two corporations had largely overlapping membership and operated in tandem. The Physics Building was located immediately east of Millis Hall, which opened in 1962 and became the new home of the Physics Department. The Physics Building was used for other purposes for several years and was removed in the 1970s.

Detail of the south façade of the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences, at the northeast corner of Ford and Bellflower Roads. Completed in 1990 and designed by University alumnus James Stewart Polshek, former Dean of the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation at Columbia University, it contains classrooms, faculty and administrative offices, and the school’s Lillian F. and Milford J. Harris Library. The school’s name recognizes the generous support provided by Jack, Joseph, and Morton Mandel and their family foundations. Before moving to this facility, the school’s programs occupied the former Beaumont Hall, which was located on what is now known as University Hospitals Drive.

Main entrance to the Rockefeller Physics Building, facing west onto the Case Quad. The building is named for John D. Rockefeller, Cleveland resident and founder of the Standard Oil Company (part of BP since 1987), who contributed funds to Case School of Applied Science to construct a physics building. This gift was one of many that Rockefeller made to both Case and Western Reserve beginning in 1880, when he made a gift to the community subscription drive to purchase land for adjacent campuses of Western Reserve College and the Case School of Applied Science. The building was completely renovated in 1995.

Gargoyle on the west wall of the Amasa Stone Chapel tower, facing Crawford Hall. The other three sides of the tower feature smiling cherubs, leading to a myth that the trustees of Western Reserve placed the gargoyle facing Case because Leonard Case, Jr., had been an atheist. Subsequent research has shown that the building’s architect, who never visited Cleveland and was unfamiliar with local lore, based his design on that of an English church, and that placing gargoyles on the west side of European churches was common practice. In addition, it seems unlikely that Stone’s daughters would have permitted this memorial to their father to be used in such a fashion.

Wall and tower detail at the northwest corner of Harkness Chapel. Built in 1902 as a memorial to Florence Harkness Severance, the chapel was made possible through gifts from the Harkness family and from her husband, Louis Severance, to support the College for Women. It was designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth, architect of many of the region's most elegant buildings. The facility was used for many years by Mather College for convocations, assemblies, and compulsory chapel, but in recent years has become primarily a rehearsal and performance space for the Department of Music.

Turrets and battlements of the Mather Memorial Building, viewed from the roof of the Ford Road Garage, located just south of Mather Memorial. Named for Flora Stone Mather, whose generosity was so instrumental in the founding and growth of the College for Women at Western Reserve that the entire college was named for her in 1931. The building dates to 1913, and was made possible through gifts in her memory from her husband, Samuel Mather, and other members of her family. The building houses classrooms, departmental offices, and radio station WRUW-FM.

Balcony on the east façade of the Kent Hale Smith Engineering and Science Building, facing Adelbert Road, home to the Department of Macromolecular Science. The building was completed in 1994. Its architect, Elizabeth Ericson of the Boston firm of Shepley Bulfinch Richardson and Abbott, is the first woman to design a building on the university’s campus. Kent Smith, a co-founder and later chief executive of the Lubrizol Corporation, was a 1917 alumnus of the Case School of Applied Science and a long-time member of the Board of Trustees. He served as Acting President of Case Institute of Technology from 1958 to 1961. The building was made possible with gifts from his family and the foundation he created, as well as other donors.

North section (“the dry side”) of “Merging,” by Oberlin-based sculptor Athena Tacha. Installed in 1987, the granite assemblage features a fountain that directs water gently over the stepped portion of the south side while keeping the north side dry and available for informal lounging. From time to time small classes meet on the dry side of “Merging.” This is one of dozens of mostly outdoor sculptures on the University’s campus that are part of the John and Mildred Putnam Sculpture Collection, begun in 1981 with the support of a gift from the Mildred Andrews Fund.

Window on the south wall of Amasa Stone Chapel near the southeast corner of the building. The chapel, designed by the Boston architect Henry Vaughan, also a principal designer of the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., was dedicated in 1911. It was given as a gift to the University by Clara Stone Hay and Flora Stone Mather in memory of their father, the leading businessman whose generosity made possible the relocation of Western Reserve College from Hudson to the current campus in University Circle in the 1880s.