CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH
case western reserve university

INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY OF THE UNIVERSITY IN SOCIETY

 
 

Campus Markings Contest #4 - Answer Page

Click for larger image.
Window #1

Stained glass windows by Louis Tiffany on the north wall of Harkness Chapel, looking out from a small classroom used by the Department of Music. Built in 1902 as a memorial to Florence Harkness Severance, the chapel was made possible through gifts from the Harkness family and from her husband, Louis Severance, to support the College for Women. It was designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth, architect of many of the region's most elegant buildings. The facility was used for many years by Mather College for convocations, assemblies, and compulsory chapel, but in recent years has become primarily a rehearsal and performance space for the Department of Music.

First-floor window on the north wall of the Kent Hale Smith Engineering and Science Building, home to the Department of Macromolecular Science. The building was completed in 1994. Its architect, Elizabeth Ericson of the Boston firm of Shepley Bulfinch Richardson and Abbott, is the first woman to design a building on the university’s campus. Kent Hale Smith was a 1917 alumnus of the Case School of Applied Science and a long-time member of the institution’s Board of Trustees, and served as Acting President of Case Institute of Technology from 1958 to 1961. With his two brothers and other colleagues, he was a co-founder and later chief executive of the Lubrizol Corporation. The building was made possible with gifts from his family and the foundation he created, as well as other donors.

Window on the east wall of Thwing Center, looking out from the Mather Gallery. Built in 1909 or 1913 (date uncertain) as the home of the Excelsior Club, a private men’s club, the building was purchased in 1929 by Western Reserve University and in 1934 became the institution’s first university-wide library, named for Charles Franklin Thwing, WRU’s president from 1890-1921. From 1957 it was used as a student center. In 1980 the building was significantly renovated and was joined with neighboring Hitchcock Hall by a new atrium to provide improved space for student activities. In addition to the Mather Gallery, it currently accommodates lounge and meeting spaces, a cafeteria, Student Activities offices, and the University book store.

Window at the southeast corner of the fifth floor of Nord Hall, looking out from the office of the Dean of the Case School of Engineering. Built in 1988 as Enterprise Hall to house the Weatherhead School of Management, the structure was renovated and renamed in 2003 when the School of Management moved to its new facility on the north campus. The building’s new name honors the Nord family, whose members include a number of Case alumni and who have been very generous to the institution. In addition to the Engineering dean’s office, it contains the office of the Dean of Graduate Studies, classrooms, a computer laboratory, a conference center, and a number of other administrative offices and student lounge areas. Original design for the building was provided by the St. Louis firm of Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum.

Windows on the west façade of Guilford House, known originally as Guilford Cottage. Built in 1892 as the first dormitory for students of the College for Women, it was a gift from Flora Stone Mather, who asked that it be named for Linda Guilford, her favorite teacher at the Cleveland Academy, where she attended preparatory school. The Cleveland architectural firm of Coburn and Barnum designed the building, which continued to be used for student housing until the 1970s. Today it accommodates offices of faculty in several departments in the College of Arts and Sciences, as well as a lounge and a small dining room that preserve the earlier residential character of the facility.

Window on the south wall of DeGrace Hall, adjoining the Hovorka Atrium in the Pytte Center for Science Education and Research. Completed in 1899 and known until 2001 as the Biology Building, the facility has been used continuously for teaching and research in biology since then. It was designed in the Gothic style by the Cleveland architect Charles F. Schweinfurth. In 2001 it was renamed in honor of Mayme S. and William J. DeGrace, friends of the university and generous contributors to the development of the Pytte Center. The 102-year gap between its original construction and its formal naming is the longest among the buildings on the campus.

Top-floor windows on the north wall of the John D. Rockefeller Physics Building. Completed in 1906 as a result of a gift of $110,000 from Rockefeller to the Case School of Applied Science, the building has been in continuous use for teaching and research in physics since then. Working with an architect, physics department chair Dayton C. Miller planned the building and traveled to Europe to purchase most of the equipment for it. Carved lintels over the top-floor windows honor leading figures in the history of physics. Shown here are references to Dominique Fran H ois Arago, Joseph von Fraunhofer, and James Prescott Joule. Rockefeller lived in Cleveland for many years before moving to New York in the 1890s, and he remained generous to Cleveland institutions from afar. The building gained an addition in 1958 and received a major renovation in 1995.

Windows on the east wall of Eldred Hall, home of the Department of Theater Arts. The original structure dates to 1897-98, when it was donated and constructed as a YMCA building by the Rev. Henry B. Eldred, a retired clergyman, based on a design by architect William W. Sabin. For many years it was a major social center for students of Adelbert and Mather Colleges, as well as for faculty and staff who used the basement snack bar. The Rockefeller Foundation contributed funds in 1938 for an addition on the northern end of the building to accommodate a new theater and auditorium. The most recent addition to the building, dating to 1995, includes a glass-enclosed main entrance.

West wall of the tower of the One-To-One Fitness Center, adjoining Adelbert Gymnasium. This addition to Adelbert Gym was completed in 1988 to accommodate the then-new fitness center. The facility includes two floors of exercise equipment and other spaces for working out. Membership in the center is open to all.

Dormers on the west roof of Clark Hall, which was built in 1892 based on a design by the noted New York architect Richard Morris Hunt, who also designed the fa H ade of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the base of the Statue of Liberty. It was made possible though a gift of $100,000 from Eliza Clark, a friend of the university, and was constructed on land donated by Jeptha Wade, II, as was Guilford Cottage. Clark Hall was the first building of the College for Women, with classrooms, a recreation center, a library, and a gymnasium on the top floor. The building was rededicated in 1999 after receiving a facelift thanks to a generous gift from the Nord Family and other donors, and today houses the Baker-Nord Center for the Humanities, classrooms, and faculty offices.

Window on the east wall of the Morley Chemistry Laboratory, completed in 1910 based on a design by Charles F. Schweinfurth, in turn based on a plan prepared by Edward Williams Morley, for whom the building is named. Morley was a distinguished chemist who served on the Western Reserve faculty from 1869 until his retirement in 1906. While his name is most often associated with that of the Case physicist Albert Michelson in their joint research on the “ether drift” in 1887, he is best known among scientists for his discoveries of the atomic weights of oxygen and hydrogen. The building, which once contained classrooms, laboratories, and faculty offices, is currently vacant as the university determines how best to use it in the future.

East façade of the walkway between the Glennan Space Engineering Building and the White Metallurgy Building. Completed in 1968 at the same time as the Glennan Building, the walkway is a steel and class structure designed to facilitate communication among faculty and students in the various engineering disciplines. T. Keith Glennan was President of Case Institute of Technology from 1947 to 1966, during which time he was on leave of absence for three years to serve as the founding director of NASA. The White Building, completed in 1961, was named for Charles M. White, a trustee of Case and the chairman of the board of the Republic Steel Corporation.