CASE.EDU:    HOME | DIRECTORIES | SEARCH
case western reserve university

INSTITUTE FOR THE STUDY OF THE UNIVERSITY IN SOCIETY

 
 

Campus Markings Contest #3 - Answer Page

Click here for larger image.
Portal #1

Severance Hall, street-level entrance facing Euclid Avenue. The home of The Cleveland Orchestra since it was built in 1931, Severance Hall sits on land that is owned by Case Western Reserve University. The building was designed by Cleveland architects Walker & Weeks. This entrance was a drive-through passageway under the building that could be used by cars to deliver arriving guests. A window embedded in the floor in the foyer inside this entrance reveals the surface of the old vehicular passageway. The building was paid for by Cleveland businessman John L. Severance as a memorial to his wife, Elizabeth DeWitt Severance.

“Student’s Entrance” on the east side of Amasa Stone Chapel, facing the Baker Building. The building was constructed in 1911 as a result of gifts by Clara Stone Hay and Flora Stone Mather in memory of their father, Amasa Stone, a prominent financier and railroad manager. He had been the principal donor to the effort to move Western Reserve College from Hudson to this site in University Circle in the 1880s. The chapel was designed by Boston architect Henry Vaughan in the Gothic Revival style, drawing heavily on the design of churches in his native England. Vaughan was also the co-designer of the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.

Entrance to the original (1888) portion of Adelbert Gymnasium, facing north behind the larger portion of the building which fronts on Adelbert Road. This was the original gymnasium of Western Reserve University, only the third building erected on the campus. It featured a running track on a second-story balcony built into the interior walls that required 35 laps to complete a single mile. The larger building, called an “armory,” was completed in 1919. Both spaces have been used for physical education, athletics, and recreational activities. Space to accommodate the One To One Fitness Center was added to the complex in 1988.

Main entrance to Tomlinson Hall, built in 1947 as the student center for Case Institute of Technology. It was named in memory of George A. Tomlinson, who had operated a fleet of ships on the Great Lakes. This entrance faces eastward onto the plaza in front of Crawford Hall. The building currently houses the Office of Undergraduate Admission and a cafeteria that serves students, faculty, and staff members.

Doors opening into the stage shop on the west wall of Eldred Hall, home of the Department of Theater Arts. These doors are elevated from ground level so that vehicles can be parked beneath them to deliver or remove materials used in constructing stage sets. The original structure dates to 1897-98, when it was donated and constructed as a YMCA building by the Rev. Henry B. Eldred, a retired clergyman and trustee of Western Reserve University, based on a design by architect William W. Sabin. For many years it was a major social center for students of Adelbert and Mather Colleges, as well as for faculty and staff who used the basement snack bar.

Main (east) entrance to Mather House. Built in 1915, Mather House was a gift from the Alumnae Association of the College for Women and other donors on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the founding of the College, and it was named in honor of the College's principal benefactress, Flora Stone Mather. Architect Abram Garfield, son of U.S. President James A. Garfield, designed the facility as a residence for women students, and it was used for that purpose until the late 1960s, when it became the University's first coeducational residence hall. It currently houses several academic departments in the Humanities and Social Sciences.

Main (north) entrance to the Bingham Building, currently home of the Department of Civil Engineering, other engineering programs, and related facilities. The structure, completed in 1927, is named for Charles W. Bingham, a Cleveland philanthropist and hardware wholesaler who, with his son William Bingham, II, contributed funds to Case School of Applied Science to build and maintain a facility for mechanical engineering. The elegantly designed entry reflected the increasingly professional nature of engineering education in the early decades of the 20th century.

Street-level (east) entrance to Adelbert Hall, the University’s main administration building. When Western Reserve College moved to this campus in 1882 as a result of a major gift from Amasa Stone, one of the conditions he set was that the College be named for his late son, Adelbert, who had died years earlier while a student at Yale. Western Reserve began to identify itself as a university after a few years, and Adelbert College became the name of the men's undergraduate college, parallel to the College for Women. This entrance was enlarged and reconfigured in the reconstruction of the building after the 1991 fire that gutted its interior.

Main (north) entrance to Haydn Hall, home of the University’s Department of Music. Originally built in 1902 with a gift from Flora Stone Mather, it was used as a dormitory and classrooms for students in the College for Women, later named Mather College. It was named for Hiram Colllins Haydn, president of Western Reserve University from 1888 to 1891, and also pastor of the Old Stone Church on Cleveland’s Public Square, the congregation to which Mrs, Mather belonged. As a trustee, Haydn was a principal advocate of the move of Western Reserve College to Cleveland from Hudson, and early in his presidency established the College for Women. The building was designed by noted Cleveland architect Charles F. Schweinfurth.

Side (east) entrance to Harkness Chapel. Built in 1901 as a memorial to Florence Harkness Severance, the chapel was made possible through gifts from the Harness family and from her husband, Louis Severance, to support the College for Women. It was designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth, architect of many of the region's most elegant buildings. The facility was used for many years by the College for Women and Flora Stone Mather College for convocations, assemblies, and compulsory chapel, but in recent years has become primarily a rehearsal and performance space for the Department of Music.

East entrance to Thwing Center, facing Claud Foster Park and Mather House. Built in 1909 or 1913 (date uncertain) as the home of the Excelsior Club, a private men’s club, the building was purchased in 1929 by Western Reserve University and became the institution’s first university-wide library, named for Charles Franklin Thwing, WRU’s president from 1890-1921. From 1957 it was used as a student center. In 1980 the building was significantly renovated and was joined with neighboring Hitchcock Hall by a new atrium to provide improved space for student activities. Currently it accommodates lounge and meeting spaces, a cafeteria, the Mather Gallery, Student Activities offices, and the University book store.

East entrance to DeGrace Hall, facing Adelbert Road. Completed in 1899 based on a Gothic design by Charles F. Schweinfurth, the building has housed the University’s Department of Biology continuously since then. In 2001, the building was significantly renovated and was integrated into the Agnar Pytte Center for Science Education and Research, which also includes the Millis Science Center, Clapp Hall, Schmitt Auditorium, and the Hovorka Atrium. It is named for Mayme and William DeGrace, generous friends of the University whose support made possible the 2001 improvements.